CRACKED GAS TANKS

6 replies to this topic
  • F-Pilot

Posted November 08, 2000 - 06:40 PM

Has anyone else had their 400 or 426 gas tanks crack???
My 400 cracked after 2 yrs but my '00 426 cracked after 6 mos.
The cracks are at the rear of the tank below the seam and are caused by the tank flexing under pressure from the seat when you get up on the tank in corners. Yamaha is covering my tank under warranty but I don't know if I'm getting an upgraded tank or just another one that may crack.

• Scott_F

Posted November 08, 2000 - 06:50 PM

I also have had two cracked tanks, and your theory is exactly correct in my opinion. It seems the '98 tanks were thicker, so you could request one of those.

• Boit

Posted November 08, 2000 - 06:52 PM

Fpilot: You aren't alone. Others have posted about this problem. I have a 2000 YZ426 and haven't had that failure.....yet. I wonder if I can add some support under the tank in the area that flexes? Think I'll check it out real soon.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXOldtimer

Posted November 08, 2000 - 07:49 PM

My tank cracked after ? 3 or 4 months , the shop said I was out of warrenty but they replaced it anyway "NO CHARGE" plus it came with new graphics

THUMBS UP TO YAMMY

Doug

• MXOldtimer

Posted November 08, 2000 - 07:51 PM

PS I got the same tank , they said if it cracks, bring it back they would replace it also.

Doug

• motoman393

Posted November 09, 2000 - 01:20 PM

did they update the tank for 2001' or is it stil the same! On my 97' XR400 I had an aloop tank that constantly was rubbing a hole through the tank so i put 1/2" thick duct tape under the seat and it solved my problem (it also had less seat wobble and rode higher with the duct tape) maybe this will work on the YZ!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• F-Pilot

Posted November 09, 2000 - 04:49 PM

Thanks, glad I found this board, you guys are alot of help. I'll post some personal setup tips I use and am going to try the bigger pilot jet. Hope my clutch basket and hub holds up!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.