Head light and Coil Issue

5 replies to this topic
  • RSAthump

Posted January 29, 2010 - 06:10 AM

hi

A colleague of mine has an 07 wr450f, his coils burned out.. the yamaha dealer said it was because he never replaced the headlight bulb, read post below and tell me if you agree, cause now im worried about the same thing..

"Apparantly it has to do with the light, I was at Cyclelec today in joburg they are rewinding my coil for R480.00. The 2007/early 2008 models had a problem which has been sorted out. The light forms part of the electrical circuit (check your manual shows clearly) when the bulb blows it cuases the battery to overcharge cooking the regulator which in turn pops the coil / then drains your battery. If you cook the coils they cost R1050.00 from Yamaha or R480.00 to repair. The same story has been confirmed with three other Yamaha mechanics "

does this make sense. or anyone have similar issues?

• kingjewells

Posted January 29, 2010 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like bullsh*t to me. I'm no electrical engineer but I cant see how the lack of 35 watts could overpower a regulator. Please someone corect me if I'm wrong.

• RSAthump

Posted February 03, 2010 - 03:27 AM

i agree!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • phynx

Posted February 03, 2010 - 09:54 PM

Sounds like bullsh*t to me. I'm no electrical engineer but I cant see how the lack of 35 watts could overpower a regulator. Please someone corect me if I'm wrong.

:ride:

• kingjewells

Posted February 04, 2010 - 01:29 PM

:bonk::ride::smirk:

:lol:

Oh boy...

• the_smoo

Posted February 04, 2010 - 07:07 PM

hmmm dont think so.. just eyeballed the wiring diagram. cant see how that would occur... if it did, then its a design issue with the regulator..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.