Greasing lower steering stem bearing?

10 replies to this topic
  • Wrfrk

Posted January 28, 2010 - 05:51 PM

Just curious, how does a person grease that bearing without pulling it off the tube? I am going to repack the upper bearing and was wondering how to do the lower bearing?

Edited by Wrfrk, January 28, 2010 - 06:59 PM.

• Little Jeff

Posted January 28, 2010 - 06:50 PM

You must be talking about the steering stem bearings?
Little Jeff

• Wrfrk

Posted January 28, 2010 - 06:59 PM

YEs ...

• Mike in Fresno

Posted January 28, 2010 - 07:41 PM

you have to pull the whole thing off the bike to get to it, clean it good and re-grease. Or you can not clean it and just lower it a little and smear some in there with a finger.

• fender bender 59

Posted January 28, 2010 - 08:22 PM

You'll need to remove... front wheel/ forks/ handle bars/ triple clamp (upper and lower)
now you can clean the (wd 40) top & bottom bearings. Put you grease (water proof)
in your hand. Use your palm to push the grease in between the bearing pins. The bottom bearing is a little harder but you can still push the grease in by using your fingers. Remember you can't use too much...

• Wrfrk

Posted January 28, 2010 - 08:55 PM

Guess if I can get away with working it in while it's still on the stem then that's the route I will go. I just thought that might not be very effective, but that's the route I'll go.

• llamaface

Posted January 29, 2010 - 06:04 PM

the route I go is as follows:

1. don't use a pressure washer, and be careful on the rare occasions when I use a hose.

2. Don't touch the steering stem bearings, ever.

In a western climate, my experience is that you have to really set out to screw those bearings up before they'll give you any problems. I've had bikes for many years, and 14,000 or more miles, and when the steering stem fell out because I didn't hold it when i was putting on a damper, the bearings still had nice clean grease in them.

Note that this advice doesn't work for japanese bikes. Apparently grease is more expensive than bluefin tuna in japan, so they treat it like streisand-loving homos treat vermouth in their martinis. Just wave the container nearby and call it good.

• DoctorDover

Posted January 29, 2010 - 09:04 PM

the route I go is as follows:

so they treat it like streisand-loving homos treat vermouth in their martinis. Just wave the container nearby and call it good.

:ride::lol:

• bdubbs033

Posted February 04, 2010 - 05:04 AM

So does the ktm come with enough grease from the factory. I'm about to purchase a 2010 250xc and I anticipated taking the bike apart to re-grease.

• Gary jp4

Posted February 04, 2010 - 08:13 AM

Repack it and use BelRay water proof grease.

• Mike in Fresno

Posted February 04, 2010 - 09:59 AM

all my bikes haver been good enuf til I put on a stabiizer or remove the forks for some reason

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.