Down shifting using engine breaking to slow

4 replies to this topic
  • MrMXer

Posted November 06, 2000 - 01:52 PM

Hey folks, I've read some post's where people say to downshift and allow the engine breaking to slow you. Be careful when doing this. The rev limiter is used to help keep the engine together and downshiting early bypasses this protection. This can cause the valves to float and contact the piston. The result is not good as you can imagine. It will however lighten you wallet by about $1200.

• MotoGreg

Posted November 06, 2000 - 07:19 PM

There is a spot on my track where there is a small double jump followed imediately by a super tight 180 degree U-turn. Most people either roll the double slowly or jump it and overshoot the corner with the brakes locked up... I jump it in third gear and click it down into second in the air. When it lands the engine brake imediately slows the bike with just enough time to flick it into the corner. In conclusion... engine braking rules!

The proceeding nonsense brought to you by MotoGreg
On two wheels (or 3) since 1970
'92 GSXR 7/11 (Until I get a shwangy 916)
'99 WR/YZ400F 'Cause thumpers rule and two strokes drool!
Visit my photo album for the bargain price of $75 - ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK - EVIL LURKS WITHIN!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrMXer

Posted November 12, 2000 - 06:41 AM

Engine braking does rule MotoGreg, however, I just wanted to post a warning. We run at a track with a double step-down section into a small double with a sharp right hander. We would do the step-down's and then downshift while in the air to set-up for the small double and sharp right. This totally destroyed the whole top end.. Head, valves, etc. The cost to repair the damage is high enough to make one ponder turning the old scoot into a parts bike and shelling out the cash for a new scoot.

• Taffy

Posted November 12, 2000 - 02:30 PM

i know this is the yz site but for us enduro boys i have to confess seeing a &%$#@!in great big tree makes me brake like, well, like i'm the last of the late brakers!!!!

• fastkevin

Posted November 21, 2000 - 07:06 PM

Uh, I hate to be the to break the news to you Mr. MXr. Using engine braking to slow the bike is a technique that's probably as old as the motorcycle itself. Have you ever seen a dirt track race, tt race, or a road race. When the rear end of the bike is stepping out right before turn-in, BINGO! Engine braking ( by way of clutch modulation), It's used to a) scuff off speed and :) bring the back end around to get the front pointing into the turn. As far as your contention that downshifting to far will wing a valve. It happens, but in the dirt the gearing isn't usually that tall, the traction isn't that good, and an experienced rider usually will catch it and not panic . Even if the guy freezes, It's more likely that the rear will lock up and slide

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.