Quieting a stock 99 WR400 exhaust

4 replies to this topic
  • colorado5280

Posted January 28, 2010 - 01:38 PM

I recently picked up a 99 WR400 and its in great shape. That said the previous owner removed the baffle from the stock exhaust and its now only running with the YMS400 screen type arrestor...and it is REALLY loud. Since its plated I want to ride to/from the trails and I don't want to anger my neighbors even with idling.

Beyond swapping out the exhaust to an aftermarket unit are there any other options I could use to quiet it own to 94-96db? Anyone still have a stock baffle or another WR stock exhaust that would fit?

For now I'm more concerned about sound levels than dropping a little power.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Mark

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 28, 2010 - 08:55 PM

I am pretty sure that any OEM exhaust up to 2006 will bolt onto the 99' so that should yield a pretty successful search on ebay or craigslist and you can typically pick them up pretty cheap.

I know I mounted the stock can off my 04' onto my 99', it required just a little enlarging of the hole on the rear mount. (10 seconds with a drill)...

Good luck and good for you in quieting the beast down:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted January 28, 2010 - 08:57 PM

GYT-R insert or Pro Moto Billet insert will both do a pretty good job of quieting down the stock pipe.

• colorado5280

Posted January 29, 2010 - 09:22 PM

I had purchased a Pro Moto Billet insert last week and initially thought it wasn't going to fit. There was some interference in getting it to seat properly. I called Pro Moto Billet today and Brett double checked the part number they had sent me, we shared some pictures, and figured out that, at some point in its past, the stock exhaust tip had been tweaked just enough in a fall to knock it out of round and prevent the insert from fitting. I just took my Dremel to the interior of the exhaust tip and everything now fits correctly. Ahhh....I can hear myself think now :lol:

I'll be warming it up in the driveway tomorrow before a ride and won't be worried about my neighbors wanting to shoot me :ride:

Thanks for the help!

Mark

• gilkeyb

Posted August 01, 2014 - 05:37 AM

I had purchased a Pro Moto Billet insert last week and initially thought it wasn't going to fit. There was some interference in getting it to seat properly. I called Pro Moto Billet today and Brett double checked the part number they had sent me, we shared some pictures, and figured out that, at some point in its past, the stock exhaust tip had been tweaked just enough in a fall to knock it out of round and prevent the insert from fitting. I just took my Dremel to the interior of the exhaust tip and everything now fits correctly. Ahhh....I can hear myself think now :ride:

Mark

*EDIT: I see this is a very old thread, sorry to dig it up*

Mark, 

I'm hoping you can help me here

I too bought a PMB end cap in the hopes of quieting down my de-baffled stock exhaust.  Unfortunately, it seems I ordered/was sent the wrong tip.  My exhaust clearly has a circular cross section, and the one I received was intended for an oval.

Was your issue THIS noticeable different?  Assuming not, can you by chance reference a part number for the correct PMB tip?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

Edited by gilkeyb, August 01, 2014 - 05:39 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.