Checking the Rectifier and Charging System

1 reply to this topic
  • Navaho6

Posted January 28, 2010 - 12:51 PM

Edited: Last battery I had died suddenly during a ride. It was a weak, undersized battery to start with.

I replaced the battery with the proper size YTZ7S Yuasa and ran some tests to check the rectifier/regulator and the charging system (magneto).

First check was the "charging voltage". I got a reading of 14.6 volts with the engine running. Perfect.

Next check was for the "charging coil resistance" on the DC side. First thing I don't understand: The shop manual says to set the tester to "ohm x 1". There's no setting of that description on the tester. I set it to 200ohm setting. With the engine off, the reading was 0.7. Target reading is 0.2245 - 0.336 ohm. I'm not sure what I've got.

Third check was for the output of the rectifier/regulator (AC lighting circuit). Setting on tester should be ACV-20. Lowest setting on my tester is ACV-200. On that setting, my reading was 12.2V at 1/4 throttle and 13.0V at idle. Target is 13.0 - 14.0 V at 5000 rpm. Regulator bad?

Another strange thing - I swear my headlight use to come on as soon as I turned the main switch on. Now with the new battery, it only comes on when the engine starts running.

Edited by Navaho6, January 28, 2010 - 08:49 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted January 30, 2010 - 01:42 PM

Figured out that my problem was my multi-tester, not my bike. If the manual says to test with ACV-20, make sure your tester has that setting. My AC readings were 1.5V off. Resistance measurements were way off.

My friend let me use his $400 tester, and everything checked out. My problem was a cheap battery. Its time was up.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.