YZF 450 Trail Bike???

14 replies to this topic
  • JJ1

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:26 PM

I sold my Honda 250x and am in the market for an upgrade. I primarily ride trails but do on occasion like to hit the dunes. I know the 250x is not much of a dune bike and I know the yzf450 is a great dune bike. I was mainly curious as to how it does on the single track mountain trail type stuff. I know the WR is more geared for that but it is heavy and also these YZF 450s are going for incredible deals now I assume due to the new 2010 models. Would this bike be ok for trail riding or is it too motorcrossy?:ride:

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:32 PM

http://www.thumperta...t=450 for woods

pretty much sums it up. There are more threads on this as well.

• yam469

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:32 PM

I single track mine all the time,and race it in motocross. It is a little front end high, but it gets around fine and its for sale 2004.I got another bike and it fits me a little better handling 2006 cr450r

• cowboyona426

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:33 PM

The YZ is a horrible woods bike, don't do it! :ride:
I felt like out of the box, my 00 426 was a better woods bike than my 06 450 but the 06 does just fine, it just requires more attention to setup than my old bike. Heavy flywheel weight is a MUST IMO, and probably lower gearing depending on where you ride. Rad cages and a sparky are also a must, then add whatever else you like- skid plate, handguards, etc.

• FinchFan194

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:35 PM

I single track the wheels off my 08 it is very capable in the woods. The YZ tranny is actually way better on trails than a WR, IMO. The YZ tranny is "close ratio" so it is easy to find what gear you want. Buddy of mine has a WR and doesn't prefer the tranny on tight single track, in fact he is wanting to put a YZ tranny in it.

• SparksXR426

Posted January 27, 2010 - 09:05 PM

I single track the wheels off my 08 it is very capable in the woods. The YZ tranny is actually way better on trails than a WR, IMO. The YZ tranny is "close ratio" so it is easy to find what gear you want. Buddy of mine has a WR and doesn't prefer the tranny on tight single track, in fact he is wanting to put a YZ tranny in it.

I originally thought a wide ratio tranny was the best way to go for woods but the close ratio actually works well, asides from the tall first. 90 percent of my time is spent first through third. Like Cowboy said, FWW weight is a must, get a sparky and whatever guards you want (Scorpian Racing makes an awesome product) and ride.

• shrubitup

Posted January 27, 2010 - 09:32 PM

To overcome the too high geared first gear you can gear it 13/50 or 13/52 even. I have 14/52 and can't wait to put on 13/52. This is for tight goat trail riding only but that's what I like to ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted January 27, 2010 - 09:39 PM

To overcome the too high geared first gear you can gear it 13/50 or 13/52 even. I have 14/52 and can't wait to put on 13/52. This is for tight goat trail riding only but that's what I like to ride.

I like to keep the gearing stock or minus a tooth or two for the rear. Then you shift a lot less and 1st pulls forever. The slow stuff is what they make a clutch for. You also get a LOT better traction. With a FWW the bike likes to chug along no problem with my 13/47 combo. But when its wet and just nasty and technical I like 13/49(stock)

• tek_01

Posted January 27, 2010 - 10:27 PM

im running 13/52 and i find it just about right for the stuff i ride. any higher and it gets rough taking off, alot of chain slap etc. I also have the +10oz fww as well

i pretty much hated it until i fixed my gearing and now it is great. Although suspensions is a little stiff

• DRich43

Posted January 31, 2010 - 07:10 AM

The YZ is a awsome bike for the woods, ALL YOU NEED IS A REKLUSE CLUTCH and some hand gards, rad gards, and engine ice. These bike IMO work better off-road and are much less weight and more versitile.

I just picked up a 09 YZ 450 Black/white for 5k...everything i just told you to do I just got done doing last night and am waiting for my tires to change out.

Good luck and everyone has their opnions on what is best...if its a good deal go for it and enjoy being out in the woods with your buddies!

• rubberband-man

Posted January 31, 2010 - 08:14 AM

i have an 07 wr450 and an 08 yz450. i put a rekluse in my yz, and now my wr sits in the garage. best trail bike EVER. get the 09 with the black rims. it's going for 5 grand otd at some shops, and 5400 at the rest.

• shrubitup

Posted January 31, 2010 - 10:00 AM

The YZ is a awsome bike for the woods, ALL YOU NEED IS A REKLUSE CLUTCH and some hand gards, rad gards, and engine ice. These bike IMO work better off-road and are much less weight and more versitile.

I just picked up a 09 YZ 450 Black/white for 5k...everything i just told you to do I just got done doing last night and am waiting for my tires to change out.

Good luck and everyone has their opnions on what is best...if its a good deal go for it and enjoy being out in the woods with your buddies!

You'll need to post some photos!

• coreyl

Posted January 31, 2010 - 10:37 AM

my is great for trails i am running 13/48 and it is perfect

• DRich43

Posted January 31, 2010 - 02:38 PM

Ill click a few pictures next week before i send my suspension out to Factory Connection to get done...

I went this route because of the price, Im now a big YZ guy because i still have and ride my 05. I was looking at a few bikes...KTM 450xc-w, WR 450, CRF 450x, and a Beta 450. I rode them all and just felt better on the YZ becasue i like the snap. The Recluse just makes up for everything, there is no need to use the clutch but you can if you need to. I understandi dont have a little button but for 6k with all options and some left over for OHV stickers im happy. IM VERY HAPPY!!!!

To each their own...

• shrubitup

Posted January 31, 2010 - 02:48 PM

Ill click a few pictures next week before i send my suspension out to Factory Connection to get done...

I went this route because of the price, Im now a big YZ guy because i still have and ride my 05. I was looking at a few bikes...KTM 450xc-w, WR 450, CRF 450x, and a Beta 450. I rode them all and just felt better on the YZ becasue i like the snap. The Recluse just makes up for everything, there is no need to use the clutch but you can if you need to. I understandi dont have a little button but for 6k with all options and some left over for OHV stickers im happy. IM VERY HAPPY!!!!

To each their own...

It's OK to like YZs with Rekluses. Really, it's OK. Nobody will ever understand why you like it so much but that's OK too. It's your bike so enjoy it. :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.