Favorite Oil / Filter???

6 replies to this topic
  • tsmerian

Posted May 13, 2003 - 09:12 AM

*** Please be nice to the newbie *** :D

After 9 years of street riding, I have finally taken the plunge into off road riding. I have quickly found out that there are probably more differences than similarities between street and dirt bikes...

Question: Is there a favorite oil / filter among the forum members? I have noticed that Bel-Ray makes a "Thumper" oil that looks pretty decent. I have been using good old Yamalube 4 thus far. I know they also have the 4-R, but I don't know if it's worth the extra money (same goes for the Bel-Ray). I have always been a fan of K&N filters (air and oil) and have picked up a couple of oil filters for the WR, but I don't know if that's worth the money either. I guess it all boils down to this:

Is it worth the extra money to buy the "premium" oils / filters when the change rate is so frequent? I almost wonder if it makes any difference at all since one should change the oil after every couple of rides anyway.

What do you think??? :) :D :D

• The_Blue_One

Posted May 13, 2003 - 09:32 AM

I run the yamalube also.I figure since the oil gets changed so much that regular oil should be o.k.I buy it from Rocky Mountain bulk for around 2 bucks a quart.

I ran it in my 426 for a year with no problems.For filters i have been using the stock Yamaha ,but have been thinking of a scotts filter.

• Fryboy

Posted May 13, 2003 - 09:52 AM

I use Mobil 1 Synthetic with Red Cap 15w50. I change it after approx 300 miles. Besides the original Yam filter I have used Enzo via Rocky Mountain. Seem to be as good as original and about 50% cheaper.

Rocky Mountain

Fryboy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sylvain

Posted May 13, 2003 - 04:05 PM

Welcome to TT :D

You"ll have a lot of infos if you take the time to use the search function on oil topics :). This has been a very popular subject, and still is.

Regards

• FNG241_WR450F

Posted May 15, 2003 - 03:25 AM

I'm using Actevo. I've also used Amsoil and had good luck with it.

• RunAnywhere

Posted May 16, 2003 - 08:32 AM

Welcome,

I use Castrol Syntec. 20 50 in the summer and 10 40 in the not-quite-warm-enough-to-ride weather.

Good luck,
Ryan

• newrider

Posted May 18, 2003 - 05:12 AM

I've been buying Yamalube by the case, brings the cost down a little and if you change the oil often you go through it pretty fast. As for filters, I clean and reuse the stock filter, though I've found a source for HiFlo filters at $6/ea. Haven't used one yet. I've been told they are the same as the K&N, who'd know?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.