2009 Wr 450 Michigan Jetting Question

4 replies to this topic
  • Youser

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hi all, I was hoping to get a definite answer on how to jet my new bike here in Michigan (300-1,000 feet). I bought the AIS kit and plan to install it (except for some of the jets), remove the snorkel and remove the pea shooter from the muffler and do the grey wire mod. From my research here is what I got so far. Please let me know if im off or right on.

I plan to install the following
Pilot Jet #48 (45 is stock)
Main Jet # 168 (162 is stock)
Pilot Air Jet #110 (70 is stock)
Starter Jet #65 (Stock)
Leak Jet #45 (60 is stock)
AIS Clip Position #4
Fuel screw 1.5 turns

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am very new to jetting.

• JDLowrance

Posted January 28, 2010 - 04:57 AM

It all looks good with the possible exception of the needle. Not sure how the AIS needle is going to work as I didn't try it. Didn't want to have to go back in there a second or third time so I installed JD's kit as well (always had good luck with them).

My install was exactly the same as yours except: Red number 4 and large O'ring on linkage. Gotta say I'm blown away with the results.

If you are gonna use the AIS needle you may want to consider using the main that is spec'd in the AIS kit.

Good luck, John

Edited by JDLowrance, January 28, 2010 - 10:54 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • panaman

Posted January 28, 2010 - 10:58 PM

this is how I did mine..... just south of you a little....
mine runs great.....

Year: 2009
Model (400 - 426 - 450): 450
Cam Timing (WR/YZ): WR
Main jet: 165
Pilot Jet: 48
PAJ: Stock
Leak Jet: 45
Starter Jet: Stock (don't know what size it is)
Fuel screw (turns out): 1.5
Needle Model/Clip position: JD Red needle 5th clip
Grey Wire Mod (Y/N): Y
TPS Connected (Y/N): Y
Airbox Snorkel/Lid (on or off): off
AIS Removed (Y/N): Y
Airfilter Brand: Stock
Exhaust Brand: Stock (removed the little pee pee from the exhaust)
Average Altitude: 800-1600
Average Temperature: 75-85F
Average Humidity: no idea
Degree of Satisfaction (0-10): 10 and its scary powerfull
Additional Mods/Comments: Swing arm graphics.. i think they added like 3 horsepower

• Youser

Posted March 12, 2010 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for your replies. I hope to get a few more people who are doing the same thing as me to see if I can nail it down the first time.
Starter Jet #65 (Stock)
AIS Clip Position #4
Fuel screw 1.5 turns
Remove air box lid
Pea shooter removal muffler
Grey wire ais mod

• tribalbc

Posted March 12, 2010 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for your replies. I hope to get a few more people who are doing the same thing as me to see if I can nail it down the first time.
Starter Jet #65 (Stock)
AIS Clip Position #4
Fuel screw 1.5 turns
Remove air box lid
Pea shooter removal muffler
Grey wire ais mod

I think that sounds pretty good. Same settings I have, except I run a 45 pilot, fuel screw varies. I ride a little higher altitude, generally 2000-5000ft but I have a YZ exhaust and more airbox mods as well.
I'm sure the bike will run good with those settings, but to get perfect you might have to tweak it once or twice. You can get at main,pilot and needle without removing the carb.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.