oversized tank?

11 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted January 27, 2010 - 10:26 AM

I am getting a black fuel tank for my bike. I am thinking about going oversized. Will this afftect how my graphics fit or are they just taller in the neck area?

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2010 - 10:30 AM

On the '04, half the graphics are on the shrouds and the other half on the tank. I can't think of an OS tank for that model that would not accept graphics for the OEM tank. The area where the stickers are applied usually doesn't change that much. If anything, there'll be more room for them.

• tech24

Posted January 27, 2010 - 10:42 AM

I guess they'll line up just might be a little more fuel tanks sticking out. I go for some long trail rides sometimes so I think I will benefit from it. You think on OS tank will look odd. I have seen some models that just look plain outta place, of course Im not trying to win any bike shows

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2010 - 11:13 AM

The IMS for the steel framed YZF's is ugly. The Clarke is much better looking, IMO.

• tech24

Posted January 27, 2010 - 11:23 AM

The only black one I have found is a Clarke 2.8 gal. from www.justgastanks.com. The pic is a newer YZ so I guess I won't know til I get it.

• tech24

Posted January 27, 2010 - 11:32 AM

I found some pics and I see what you mean about the ims tank, the clarke looks pretty good even being white and no graphics

IMS
Posted Image

Clarke
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2010 - 12:07 PM

The IMS has been restyled by the looks of that, but still much the same. Not how much of the engine is covered. Note also that part of the fuel sits below the carb inlet, which means that it will not flow to the carb once it reaches that level. I had one of these for my '03 that I got used, and ONLY ran in the desert because I disliked it enough that I'd switch it with the stock one. By contrast, the IMS on my '06 is much more like the Clarke pictured there, and I leave it on all the time.

The Clarke for the steel bikes has, as I recall, a slightly smaller fuel capacity than the IMS, and may be slightly wider where it meets the shrouds. I believe they are available in blue if you like, but the "natural" color is great for checking fuel level on the run, and as you said, it doesn't look too bad.

• tech24

Posted January 27, 2010 - 12:21 PM

Thats true about the carb, thats kind of pointless, I guess you gotta get a good whip to transfer fuel to the other side. I'm gonna go with a black clarke probably. I'm many paychecks away from tank and plastics. Im just doing as much research as I can before I end up with parts I don't like or need.

• DieselSJ

Posted January 27, 2010 - 12:54 PM

I have the Clark on my '04 and I really like it. It is 2.8 gallons (slightly smaller than the IMS) but it fits great and it doesn't feel like you have a big tank while you are riding.

• tech24

Posted January 27, 2010 - 12:59 PM

I have the Clark on my '04 and I really like it. It is 2.8 gallons (slightly smaller than the IMS) but it fits great and it doesn't feel like you have a big tank while you are riding.

Cool, thats the tank Im looking at, and it can be ordered in any color too. Do you have any pics? Does it look like the clarke tank above?

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2010 - 02:28 PM

The IMS has a crossover line, and so there's not a problem with getting fuel from on side to the other. However, there's no shutoff valve on the crossover fittings on either side, so removing the tank with any fuel in it becomes a problem. I had a work around for it, but it wasn't the best situation, even so. Fortunately, I never had to pull the tank on the trail to see if it worked.

• DieselSJ

Posted January 27, 2010 - 10:08 PM

Cool, thats the tank Im looking at, and it can be ordered in any color too. Do you have any pics? Does it look like the clarke tank above?

I have a white one and it looks exactly like the picture above.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.