hot tires and alcohol

11 replies to this topic
  • sunnymex

Posted May 13, 2003 - 05:28 AM

Has anyone ever heard of putting alcohol in tires so that they do not over heat?? Somebody told me that the other day and I had never heard that before. Does it work?

• JackAttack

Posted May 13, 2003 - 05:42 AM

I run Ice Cubes, Beefeater Gin, and an Olive in mine. Keeps the tires cool and I have a refreshing martini after the ride. :)

• sunnymex

Posted May 13, 2003 - 05:49 AM

Wouldn't that be nice. Except the martini would come out boiling. I think that I would actually opt for some Minute Maid and a swuirt of absolut.

But back to the original question would it keep it cool? My reason for asking is that I just had a rear tire disintigrate at about 80 mph. The entire sidewall just tore apart. My first hunch was that it just got too hot, but I have never heard of that happening before. It was a Bridgestone, which is the conclusion that I came to. Bridgestone tires stink!!! :)

• irondude

Posted May 13, 2003 - 09:11 AM

Hey Sunny- you guys in for the 500? What number did ya draw?
We are 251X!
Alcohol in the tires? Might loosen the bead/rim tension. I put talcum powder in mine...
Try the Michelin Desert. Its awesome.

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted May 13, 2003 - 10:06 AM

I don't understand how alcohol would help cool tires at all. Alcohol has an low vaporization point and would evaporate before the tire was mounted, or shortly thereafter. I agree with the above post with the talc. I ride slower terrain, but always coat the inside of the tire and the tube with powder to reduce friction.

If you really want to reduce friction on rubber try some KY :)

• Rokatt88

Posted May 13, 2003 - 12:10 PM

I can see the discussion now..."Is Synthetic Joy Jelly better than Dino Joy Jelly! Do you or don't you need "Friction Reducers" :) :D :D!?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted May 13, 2003 - 05:12 PM

The alcohol would only cool your tires if you poured it on them because it would evaporate (my rectal database says it has to do with vapor pressure), but putting it inside your tubes/tires would just degrade the rubber.

• sunnymex

Posted May 13, 2003 - 05:45 PM

Yeah I thought that it was a pretty bogus claim also. I think that I will stick with the alcohol in the glasses instead on in the tires. Sounded odd, that is why I asked.

As for the 500, haven't drawn a number yet. I think that we are going to get shafted in this department because we have not even registered yet. 251x. I will definetely look you up when I get up there. When are you going to prerun the race? What are you doing for your pits?

Talk to you all later.

• CoreyClough

Posted May 13, 2003 - 08:24 PM

We use nitrogen in the tires of racecars. The idea there is that the pressure stays the same, due to the lack of moisture from the air. Regular pump air will raise and lower depending on the temperature. Set your pressures with nitrogen, and they will stay that way. Alcohol in the tires? You'll just be adding extra weight to the bike, and I don't see any advantage. I have heard of foam inner tubes, but alcohol?

• tma

Posted May 14, 2003 - 04:57 AM

In a prior career, I was a crew member for an Indycar/CART team... Corey's correct regarding nitrogen being used to inflate tires. Tire circumference at operating temp was a concern (setup) for the engineers and nitrogen helped stabilize... :)

• sunnymex

Posted May 14, 2003 - 06:46 AM

Now that makes much more sense than pouring alcohol in your tires. I think this guy was blowing hot air. The nitrogen makes all the sense in the world. Constant pressure in tires in important.

Anyhow, thanks for the input.

• smashinz2002

Posted May 14, 2003 - 06:33 PM

That really makes no sense, since the XR650R uses tires which are quite thick and fairly low pressure (less than 20psi). If you know the tires are going to be heated excessively by some unknown force, then one would simply lower the cold pressure to begin with. The bike won't go fast enough to sling the tires apart anyway, so that is really a non-issue, even if you ride in very hot weather, and at top speed for long periods. From experience, I have noticed an increase from a cold pressure of 15psi to a post race pressure of 22psi during hot summer weather. That isn't even close to enough to cause a problem other than a rougher ride.
One last thought man; Alcohol is incapable of producing a cooling effect unless it is evaporating, and of course evaporation is impossible if the alcohol is sealed inside the inner tube. As an example, bottled alcohol which is sealed, assumes the temperature of the surroundings, and does not cool the container it is in.

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.