Rear tire on the front?

9 replies to this topic
  • brianpeerson

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:26 AM

I need a set of knobby'ish tires for my DRZ 400SM. Problem is nobody seems to make a dirt tire for a front 17" rim. It looks looks I'm going to have to use a "rear" tire on the front of my bike. I would look into a new set of rims but money is an issue and I only need them for a 7 day trip in the mountains of New Mexico. My main question is , do you guys think a tire designed for the rear of a bike will work in the front? I know that front or rear they're all round and made of rubber but will it effect handling? If so how bad?

Thanks for the help!

• MrBlah

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:50 AM

kenda trackmasters have a 17" front, will this fit? 70/100-17

I use them on my xr400, but in 21", they are not great on the road, but work pretty good offroad

• KcDavis

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:50 AM

I have seen people with SM's that have knobbies on them for trail riding. Aren't the front and rear tires the same all around, or is the front narrower than the rear? If the tires are the same size, than I would imagine that you would be good to go. If you do a search, or go to some of the bike forums (if you haven't already) you will find people who have put knobby tires on their SM's, and they can definitely lead you in the right direction.

• Atrus96

Posted January 26, 2010 - 10:10 AM

You should be fine, all the stuff I have heard say rear tires are built to a higher standard and can be harder/softer. You may want to bite the bullet and call a tire store or better yet the manufacture if you fav brand

• Layton

Posted January 26, 2010 - 11:15 AM

I didn't search very long and found this so one or more tire companies are making 17 inch front tires.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B002PLASSQ

• cleonard

Posted January 26, 2010 - 01:31 PM

This issue is the width. I think any 17's for the front will be narrow like the 70/100-17. I just don't see that working with the wide sumo rims. I have a feeling you will have to use a wide 17 inch rear knobby. The down side is the weight. It might make for some interesting handling. As long as you don't expect it to work like a normal 21 inch dirt only front tire you should be OK. I'm sure it will work better in the dirt than the slick sumo tire you have on the bike right now.

Try and find the lightest tire you can.

• MrBlah

Posted January 26, 2010 - 01:32 PM

dont the big adv bikes use them? like a big bmw, or a suzuki 650

• cleonard

Posted January 26, 2010 - 01:49 PM

dont the big adv bikes use them? like a big bmw, or a suzuki 650

Some of those bikes run 19 inch fronts and perhaps ever 18's. I do not think any run 17's and remember that sumo rim is like 3.5 inches wide. You will need a 120 or so width at a minimum and that's going to be a 17 rear.

• justbackitin

Posted January 26, 2010 - 03:18 PM

Some guys run Continental TKC-80's front and rear since they come in sizes close enough for supermoto wheels. Other than that look at Pirelli mt-60's or Avon distanzia's (lots of guys rave about the distanzia's on and off road).

• brianpeerson

Posted January 27, 2010 - 04:42 AM

This issue is the width. I think any 17's for the front will be narrow like the 70/100-17. I just don't see that working with the wide sumo rims. I have a feeling you will have to use a wide 17 inch rear knobby. The down side is the weight. It might make for some interesting handling. As long as you don't expect it to work like a normal 21 inch dirt only front tire you should be OK. I'm sure it will work better in the dirt than the slick sumo tire you have on the bike right now.

Try and find the lightest tire you can.

Yep....it's the width thats been messing me up. I figured the weight would be an issue.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  42 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

All 250f engines will follow Yamaha's design by cummins1320

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  80 replies
Forums
Photo

CR250 Swingarm by 2StrokestheFuture

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   Honda 2-Stroke
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Can't make my mind up...xr650L to KTM 690r by 09BigRed

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Dual-Sport/Adventure
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

Building a Dirt Bike by htimsrolyat

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  41 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.