loudest silencer

65 replies to this topic
  • ohioryder

Posted January 30, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Why ask such a stupid question? And twice for that matter? I believe you are just trying to stir up a hornets nest here. It wouldnt take much to find what you want from the manufacturer's web sites. Im sure they list the the sound dbs. If not you could call them and ask your stupid question.

• orangyktmthing

Posted January 30, 2010 - 09:18 AM

Look, I understand that you are just asking a question, but, you are asking a question that goes against pretty much everything that 90% of dedicated off-road riders have been trying to do to save the riding areas. The future of this (Great!) sport even depends on you! There is going to be someday that I want to ride dirtbikes with my kids/grandkids....etc.... and the only way that I/you/everyone can do that is to be courteous to the people that do not ride. Trust me, there will be a day that you will hear about excess noise, even where you live. Why not battle for your rights to ride and get a spark arrested silencer and give less to the opponents who see that riding is just damaging to the land and assaulting to the hearing. I figure that if someone talks to you instead of insulting you, maybe it would help with making an informed decision. Good luck with whatever avenue you pick, and remember (even where you live), there are people counting on YOU to make the right choice and give less ammo to the anti-riding/peta/greenpeace tools that would like to see your/my bike never leave your/my garage.

• myoung

Posted January 30, 2010 - 10:21 AM

While your question is perfectly legitimate as you have explained it, you have been here long enough to realize that your fishing in the wrong stream for the answer. The way you're going on with this makes it look like you're just trolling so the replies are going to slam on you for being offensive.

You should know by now this is a touchy subject, especially after the way your first thread tanked and was closed by the owner of the site of all people, not a mod. Not the smartest move to upset the boss.

Maybe you should take a minute to realize how much you've offended the membership here and understand the reasons for the way they are replying and stop kicking this dead horse. You're so concerned about the way you feel you're being treated you don't even realize you're the one acting like a child.

Since you seem hell bent on this, why don't you just do a search for 'loud exhaust' and find the answer you seek on your own. I guarantee you, in the history of this site there have been more than enough threads on this subject. Those threads will be older though, as this day and age that is not what is wanted by the majority anymore. You're obviously not going to get the answer you're looking for in today's riding climate from the membership here.

• 02WR426Cali

Posted January 30, 2010 - 10:41 AM

Wow all of you that got offended by a guy just asking a simple question must squat to pee. Give me a break he lives in Canada and is in the middle of nowhere. And also just because my bike and your bikes "only" register 94db or something similar....Um hello that's not very quiet either! Do you really think someone camping wont complain about a "quieter" bike? Please!!! Spare me, they will complain about any bike if they are ones to complain at all. So quit acting like you do no harm. I like to ride as everyone on here does. But we can't control others who have ajendas that want to complain about our riding. Whether it's 100db or 94db they will complain. Think about it, it's really not that much quieter.

So just get a pipe built for the track, they are all loud. As long as you don't get a pipe that is purposely built for being quiet it will be loud.

And for anyone offended by my post....just stop and really think about what I said as it makes sense. While you might have a bike that is a little quieter than what this guy wants.....it's not that much quieter and still loud so you have no room to talk.

• CanadianWR450

Posted January 30, 2010 - 11:39 AM

I think a much better question would have been "What is the best performing race exhaust going, regardless of decibels?"

The whole "Loud bikes close trails" thing aside....a loud exhaust, simply for the sake of noise, even if it makes your bike run worse, and not better, and not even considering, or caring about performance IS STUPID.

Private land, etc, and wanting your bike to perform it's best, regardless of sound makes for a much better, and acceptable question.

If you want a example of a loud exhaust which hurts performance, look at straight pipes on a bone stock Harley.

So, I'm going to ASSUME your asking for the BEST PERFORMING exhaust regardless of decibels....and suggest you look into a full FMF Factory 4.1 system.

• ohioryder

Posted January 30, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Wow all of you that got offended by a guy just asking a simple question must squat to pee. Give me a break he lives in Canada and is in the middle of nowhere. And also just because my bike and your bikes "only" register 94db or something similar....Um hello that's not very quiet either! Do you really think someone camping wont complain about a "quieter" bike? Please!!! Spare me, they will complain about any bike if they are ones to complain at all. So quit acting like you do no harm. I like to ride as everyone on here does. But we can't control others who have ajendas that want to complain about our riding. Whether it's 100db or 94db they will complain. Think about it, it's really not that much quieter.

So just get a pipe built for the track, they are all loud. As long as you don't get a pipe that is purposely built for being quiet it will be loud.

And for anyone offended by my post....just stop and really think about what I said as it makes sense. While you might have a bike that is a little quieter than what this guy wants.....it's not that much quieter and still loud so you have no room to talk.

What's wrong with squating to pee! I will have a response for you when I get off the pot!:ride:

• ohioryder

Posted January 30, 2010 - 12:48 PM

Come to think about it I think all gas motobikes should be outlawed, and only electric bikes be allowed.:ride:

• ohioryder

Posted January 30, 2010 - 12:51 PM

While Im brain storming...I think all hard toliet seats should be outlawed, and only air-cushioned seats be allowed! My arss gets really chapped when I have to pee. :ride:

• myoung

Posted January 30, 2010 - 01:19 PM

Some good points, but you're still missing 'the point'. It's not about where he lives, it's about his stone age mentality and FU attitude.

The fact is, the sound problem will never go away and will only get worse. The riding community as a whole needs to come together to realize a day when a low 90's db or less exhaust can perform as well as a 100-95db does today, and that's what they want. Loud does not equal HP. Right now, peak HP can be achieved in the mid to high 90's db's, not the 100-120's of the past. Soon it could be lower if that's what the consumers are looking for, the manufacturers will just have to adapt and figure it out.

If you listen to the 110 exhausts of the past next to a high 90's exhaust of today, there is a discernible difference. And the sound waves of a mid 90's exhaust are not going to travel as far as a high 90's, and nowhere near as far as the over 100 exhausts. Just look at the difference in a stock 91 or 92 on some of the enduro bikes, they are significantly quieter and the sound doesn't travel very far at all. Now imagine getting increased performance from that, it will happen one day if we all come together on this.

Besides, can you honestly believe this guy, or any others like him, will be happy only riding on a measly 600 acres or whatever size their private property is? Of course not, eventually they will ride on some other land somewhere and the chance it could be regulated land exists. If that happens, it's just one more being part of the problem. Most of the members of this forum are not going to condone or support that. We don't even know if this guy is even telling the truth about his 600 acres.

I do agree with CanadianWR450, he could have taken a different approach with this and gotten some help, but the cat is out of the bag now and he's getting black balled on this issue. That's just the way it is. If you want to help him out, no problem, just don't get butt hurt because the rest of us don't.

You are right, there are those that would complain even if we just pushed our bikes down the trail. No way to fight that. But we can work with those that want to achieve a middle ground by adjusting our collective view on the subject. Now you stop and really think about that, can you really argue against it?

Edited by myoung, January 30, 2010 - 02:06 PM.

• Chas_M

Posted January 30, 2010 - 02:00 PM

Wow all of you that got offended by a guy just asking a simple question must squat to pee.

I'm not sure I see the parallel here, but whatever floats your boat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • byggd

Posted January 31, 2010 - 06:11 AM

Some good points, but you're still missing 'the point'. It's not about where he lives, it's about his stone age mentality and FU attitude.

The fact is, the sound problem will never go away and will only get worse. The riding community as a whole needs to come together to realize a day when a low 90's db or less exhaust can perform as well as a 100-95db does today, and that's what they want. Loud does not equal HP. Right now, peak HP can be achieved in the mid to high 90's db's, not the 100-120's of the past. Soon it could be lower if that's what the consumers are looking for, the manufacturers will just have to adapt and figure it out.

If you listen to the 110 exhausts of the past next to a high 90's exhaust of today, there is a discernible difference. And the sound waves of a mid 90's exhaust are not going to travel as far as a high 90's, and nowhere near as far as the over 100 exhausts. Just look at the difference in a stock 91 or 92 on some of the enduro bikes, they are significantly quieter and the sound doesn't travel very far at all. Now imagine getting increased performance from that, it will happen one day if we all come together on this.

Besides, can you honestly believe this guy, or any others like him, will be happy only riding on a measly 600 acres or whatever size their private property is? Of course not, eventually they will ride on some other land somewhere and the chance it could be regulated land exists. If that happens, it's just one more being part of the problem. Most of the members of this forum are not going to condone or support that. We don't even know if this guy is even telling the truth about his 600 acres.

I do agree with CanadianWR450, he could have taken a different approach with this and gotten some help, but the cat is out of the bag now and he's getting black balled on this issue. That's just the way it is. If you want to help him out, no problem, just don't get butt hurt because the rest of us don't.

You are right, there are those that would complain even if we just pushed our bikes down the trail. No way to fight that. But we can work with those that want to achieve a middle ground by adjusting our collective view on the subject. Now you stop and really think about that, can you really argue against it?

Well said!! :ride: Loud does not = faster! :lol:

• The Spanky

Posted January 31, 2010 - 06:17 AM

whats the hishest db silencer i can get. before you all freak out i ride in northen canada(i mean north) no one but me and my buddies riding with me can hear our bikes, im not "ruining a sport" i just like a loud bike in the woods when im rippin around with my buddies.

Noise issues aside, I have to ask. Why do you want your bike to be as loud as possible? I find an excessively loud bike to be tiresome and headache-inducing to ride. It takes away fom the riding enjoyment in my opinion.

• init ref

Posted February 01, 2010 - 12:03 PM

Why do you want your bike to be as loud as possible?

'Cause it's bitchin' cool! Like a Harley! Loud=cool!

Doesn't matter if you can ride the thing or have any idea what you're doing, it's LOUD! Look at me! Be in awe of my, uh, loudness!

• The Spanky

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:06 PM

'Cause it's bitchin' cool! Like a Harley! Loud=cool!

Doesn't matter if you can ride the thing or have any idea what you're doing, it's LOUD! Look at me! Be in awe of my, uh, loudness!

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally, I find Harleys with unbaffled straight pipes to be completely obnoxious.

• Butta

Posted February 02, 2010 - 06:18 PM

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Personally, I find Harleys with unbaffled straight pipes to be completely obnoxious.

I think that's what he was getting at.....I caught a little bit o' sarcasm in his answer...am I wrong?

• 06rm125

Posted February 02, 2010 - 06:32 PM

i kind of suck at english but isnt a loud silencer an oxy-moron or would a quiet silencer be an oxy-moron

• 02WR426Cali

Posted February 02, 2010 - 09:05 PM

Haha yeah loud silencer is an oxymoron. :ride:

• Lankyrider

Posted February 03, 2010 - 03:29 AM

whats the hishest db silencer i can get. before you all freak out i ride in northen canada(i mean north) no one but me and my buddies riding with me can hear our bikes, im not "ruining a sport" i just like a loud bike in the woods when im rippin around with my buddies.

Although i don't agree with the idea of loud exhausts i recommend Two Brothers Racing exhaust. It's the loudest i have ever heard. Personally i use it with a silencer and a spark arrestor too and it passes the db test. If you'll use it without spark arrestor and silencer i'm sure that it will satisfy your expectations.

• init ref

Posted February 03, 2010 - 12:22 PM

I think that's what he was getting at.....I caught a little bit o' sarcasm in his answer...am I wrong?

Lots of sarcasm. Thought it was obvious.

• JSanfilippo

Posted February 03, 2010 - 02:48 PM

I agree. However if/when the sound issue goes away the greens will come up with another excuse to shut us down.

KTM and Husaberg have the right idea for their stock pipes. I rode a husaberg FE 390 this past sunday...you know one of those newfangled fuel injected jobbies with the engine crammed in there the wrong way. From what I understand the ktm/husaberg stock pipes are a straight through design with a turbine style spark arrestor and it was no louder than a stock WR exhaust that has the PMB insert installed (deeper tone though). Now it wasn't an arm stretcher like an uncorked 450 is, but the power was adaquate and quite strong for having a "middleweight" engine.. If I had to guesstimate it was about 90-92 db (the intake roar was much louder than the exhaust at WOT :ride: ).

I guess what I'm getting at is huge mufflers with lots of packing are what is needed to quiet these things down while still retaining strong power. The baffled pipes like the ones that come stock on the WRs are garbage for making power... the stock WR pipe with a PMB insert still leaves alot to be desired. This thread on the DR-Z forum is good food for thought. http://www.thumperta...3072&highlight=

The guy knocked off a whole bunch of db's from his DR-Z by fabricating a longer fatter muffler while still retaining the same core diameter as his MRD SSW pipe.

Back to the OP's question. Here are a couple of loud mufflers. Knock yourself out.

Pro Circuit T-4
FMF TI powercore

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.