Electrosport Looking for YZ250/400/426/450F For Lighting Stator Testing

29 replies to this topic
  • fadingfastsd

Posted January 25, 2010 - 02:01 PM

Hey guys,

This is Evan in R&D at Electrosport.

I have our first redesigned ESL380 35W lighting stator here, and I need to get it on a bike that I can have here for testing for a couple days.

I'm looking for:

01-08 YZ250F
98-99 YZ400F
00-02 YZ426F
03-05 YZ450F

I need the bike here in Oceanside for 3-4 days to finish in house testing, then the stator is yours to keep if you can get some miles on it very soon for durability testing and report back to me.

I think we've got a winner with this revision to our ESL380, so if you're looking for lights on your YZ-F give me a call!

Evan
760-274-4913

• tp3dxf

Posted January 26, 2010 - 01:01 AM

Couldn't one just use a stock WR stator with maybe a case? I guess not the WR has a battery.

I have a 200 watt E-line on my 04 YZ 250 smoker which is plated with 55/60 watt UFO headlight that is excellent. I also have another spare pole that isn't even being used. But this set up has a small battery.

Dude you need to get more then 35 watts. Night racing in D-37 is starting to catch on. 35 watts in that case won't come close to getting it done. Ramp that sucker up to power some 8" HID's give Baja Designs a run for their money I'd love to see that.

• fadingfastsd

Posted January 26, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Thanks for the reply,
but honestly I'm not sure what your point is?

With an E-Line setup on your 2 stroke, it is certainly possible to get 75W or so, but you are using an external stator, much larger than the stock stator alone.

Our stator does produce over 40W, but we rate it at 35W for running a standard 35W H4 headlight bulb. Keep in mind this is a 4-stroke MOTOCROSS bike, it was never intended to generate this kind of power.

It will be very difficult to get into HID charging range on the YZ-F, CR-F, RM-Z, or KX-F.
You need to go with the stock lighted enduro type of bikes that had a charging system intended for a battery (WR, CRFX,KLX, DRZ, etc) to get into the 100W+ power output to reliably run HID's and other accessories.

If you have any questions please give me a call.

All that being said, anybody have a bike they'd like a free stator on!?
I'd love to get this part on a bike and tested this week!

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:06 AM

Couldn't one just use a stock WR stator with maybe a case? I guess not the WR has a battery.

...you need to get more then 35 watts. Night racing in D-37 is starting to catch on. 35 watts in that case won't come close to getting it done. Ramp that sucker up to power some 8" HID's give Baja Designs a run for their money I'd love to see that.

You can use a WR stator on any of the YZ250F's, or on YZ400's and 426's, but this requires some special considerations. The AC and DC sides of the circuit have to be isolated from each other, and it really works a little better with a rewind.

The 450's are more complicated. To start with, there is no possibility of using the '03-'06 WR450 stator on a '03-'05 YZ unless you install a complete WR lower end. The '06-'09 models can be converted to the '07-'09 WR electricals, but it requires the use of the WR crank and left case cover, and ends up being about an $800 project. Then you still have the issue of the YZ ignition running on AC only with two separated circuits, and it just works easier with either a custom stator rewind or the WR CDI

As far as the low output goes, the problem is that the YZ450 flywheel is smaller than your gas cap, and the stator is a tiny, 4 pole unit that already has two separate circuits built into it. That there is any surplus electricity available is frankly amazing.

If a battery is used, 35w will support an 8" HID at speed, while the battery runs it at lower speeds. It won't be self-sustaining, but it will run for probably 4-5 times longer than with the battery by itself, and that's plenty for most night racing situations. The main thing is that they be made to be truly reliable.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:33 AM

how about one for the 06 and up 450?

• swatdoc

Posted January 26, 2010 - 06:25 PM

Yes, Evan, How about the 06 thru 09 450's?

I've gone thru 2 stators on my bike. The first one lasted about 200 miles, and the second one lasted for less than one minute.

• spdnjoe

Posted January 27, 2010 - 10:57 AM

Evan,
I have an 01 YZ426f and I would be interested. Are you open on the weekends ?

Posted Image

• fadingfastsd

Posted January 27, 2010 - 11:18 AM

SPDNJOE,
Excellent!
We're not normally, but I can meet up with you to get the bike over here.
Where are you located?

Give me a call anytime at 760-274-4913

Evan

• spdnjoe

Posted January 27, 2010 - 01:31 PM

Evan,

What lights can I run with this set up ? Can I run an HID ?

Also, I am going to run a Stealthy flywheel weight (10oz), will this stator work ?

Thank you. I will see you Saturday morning with the 426.

Edited by spdnjoe, January 27, 2010 - 02:01 PM.

• fadingfastsd

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for the help guys! Bike located!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted January 27, 2010 - 06:49 PM

still no answer on the 06-09 yz 450s??

i would love to add lights to my bike..

• fadingfastsd

Posted January 27, 2010 - 06:53 PM

Sorry thumperkid I missed your post before.
Yes we have a part for the 06+ bikes, it is our ESL387 stator.
35W lighting output.
It uses the same stator windings as our ESL380 (the part this post is about), but with a different backing plate for mounting.

Depending on the outcome of these tests, the ESL387 for your bike will be available as well when the ESL380 for the earlier models is.

• swatdoc

Posted January 28, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Evan - when you get the updated stator for the 06 and up that uses the new windings that are hopefully more reliable, how will we be able to tell the new updated part from the old unreliable ones? will there be some kind of part number change? I don't want to lose another $180 on the old design. I'm not being sarcastic here, It's just that I've already spent close to $400 on 2 bad stators and don't wish to continue that trend is all.

• fadingfastsd

Posted January 29, 2010 - 09:12 AM

Evan - when you get the updated stator for the 06 and up that uses the new windings that are hopefully more reliable, how will we be able to tell the new updated part from the old unreliable ones? will there be some kind of part number change? I don't want to lose another $180 on the old design. I'm not being sarcastic here, It's just that I've already spent close to $400 on 2 bad stators and don't wish to continue that trend is all.

SwatDoc,
I completely understand your concern, and thanks for asking.
There is an obvious difference between our new ESL380 & ESL387 (same stator core and winding as ESL380, but with different backing plate) and the older ones, although the final production design has not been confirmed (still in R&D) so it could still change.
When the new part is confirmed and in production, I will post pictures showing the differences between the two.

The part numbers will stay the same. All inventory of the old ESL380/ESL387 should have been pulled from all of our dealer/distributors shelves, and will be replaced with new parts as soon as they are available.

Thanks!

Evan

• swatdoc

Posted January 29, 2010 - 06:05 PM

OK thanks Evan - I'm really looking forward to a new stator that will be reliable.
Bye the way, I'm not sure what feedback you have received on these, but with my stators, it was always the ignition circuit that would burn out, leaving my bike dead and unable to start or run.

• grayracer513

Posted January 29, 2010 - 09:14 PM

... I've already spent close to $400 on 2 bad stators and don't wish to continue that trend is all.

Jeez, you're so unreasonable....:ride:

• Family Man

Posted January 30, 2010 - 12:13 AM

Makes me think it would be a good idea to carry the stock stator on long rides. PITA. Good luck on the New design.

• sootgrinder

Posted February 01, 2010 - 06:35 PM

I seriously think that Electrosport needs to send Swatdoc one of the new design absolutely free. I have followed his quest for reliable lights for some time and I think he is the man to put it to the test. He should be rewarded for all his hard work in trying to make this work. Swat has also done a lot to bring attention to the need for a workable solution, so if he is able to sign off that this new design works there will be a bunch of us who will buy the product based on his thumbs up.

• swatdoc

Posted February 02, 2010 - 02:22 AM

Gray - Yep, Mr Unreasonable , that's me! LOL

Scoot - thanks for the vote of confidence, it would be sooo nice to get something reliable for our bikes. I am just SOOOOOOOOO grateful that when both of mine fried, my bike was in my garage and not 30 miles from home! ( my bike is street ridden, and I don't have a truck waiting nearby ) I really would prefer to have a stator - based setup for our bikes instead of having to use battery power for the lights and have the hassle of recharging for every single ride!

I know you guys have heard me griping a lot on here - and rightfully so I think!!! ( see previous 2 posts in this thread ) But I really am rooting for Electrosport to get this right and have a great product! If it's reliable, I'll be the first to sing it's praises!

• lumpy790

Posted February 02, 2010 - 07:06 AM

I seriously think that Electrosport needs to send Swatdoc one of the new design absolutely free. I have followed his quest for reliable lights for some time and I think he is the man to put it to the test. He should be rewarded for all his hard work in trying to make this work. Swat has also done a lot to bring attention to the need for a workable solution, so if he is able to sign off that this new design works there will be a bunch of us who will buy the product based on his thumbs up.

+1

Do you offer a charging stator for a 01 YZ250 smoker? Any wattage would do.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.