yzf 450 or crf 450

7 replies to this topic
  • dnmac1999

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:49 PM

Just wanting to heaqr what you guys have to say about the two. I am looking at buying a 450, but hear the honda's have weak valve train and heads. Do the yamaha's have this problem too? What should I look out for if looking at a yamaha? Thanks

• aedwards07

Posted January 25, 2010 - 03:07 PM

The yamaha is the most bulletproof bike made IMO.I have 04,05,06,07 yz450s and swithed to a crf450 for 2008-2009.Never replaced so many intake valves and waterpump seals in my life.haha.I think performance wise the Honda was better than the old yz450s.I got a 2010 yz450 now and it is heads above my crf450s in every way.

• REDBULLRICK

Posted January 25, 2010 - 03:54 PM

i was on a 05 crf450 than i got an 06yz450 and couldnt be happier. the only thing i did to my bikes were suspension and bars, to me the yami handles better and alot smoother than my honda to me, idk about the rest of you guys, thats just my personal opinion.

• Family Man

Posted January 25, 2010 - 05:13 PM

Yamaha's are far more dependable than Honda's. Everyperson I know with a honda has had to do the valves atleast once. I know a guy that had to do them at 80hrs on his honda 450...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hadameo

Posted January 25, 2010 - 05:19 PM

I have owned both brands and both have their strong points,the honda has the best power but the yami has better handling and they love corners were my honda did not.I only once had to replace valves in my 05 honda but i rode the guts out of that bike!My thoughts are you would love either bike!!!!!!

• dnmac1999

Posted January 25, 2010 - 07:12 PM

I have always owned 2 strokes and still do. The maintenance of a 4 stroke has scared me away for years. I think that the Honda is out of any plans for now. I have heard good things about the kx 450 f"s also. I should look into that before making any decisions. I have always had good luck with the Yamaha's I've owned (four wheelers). Thanks for all your opinions to those that answered.

• ncfmx

Posted January 26, 2010 - 08:41 AM

Yami is my pick, Ive got an 05 honda and an 08 yz and the honda has been nothing but valve problem after valve problem. No problems with my yz yet and i think it turns better and the power is smoother

• Gunner354

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:37 AM

Yami is my pick, Ive got an 05 honda and an 08 yz and the honda has been nothing but valve problem after valve problem. No problems with my yz yet and i think it turns better and the power is smoother

Can't believe Honda has been so popular knowing this is a problem on the majority of them. Everyone I know have had ongoing valve problems.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.