Quiet exhaust for the YZ426

7 replies to this topic
  • rwhitlock

Posted November 01, 2000 - 07:39 PM

I ride with 2 buddies. One has the YZ426 and the other has the DRZ400. The YZ kills the DRZ by the way (as if you couldn't have guessed..).

However, that YZ is sooooooo damn loud!! I am getting a new bike in the spring (leaning towards the WR or the YZ 426.

Does anyone know what the stock decibel level is?? Also, are there any aftermarket exhausts that quiet the bike down? I don't motocross, but rather agressive mountain riding and can't stand the loud noise.

Oh, the good thing about the DRZ is that it is quiet... :-)

• Taffy

Posted November 02, 2000 - 12:01 AM

we meet again!
have a look at the archives on the WR site. go back about 60-90 days or put in 'stroker exhaust' in the search box.

clarke has quiet & quick pipe. by combining the powerbomb header & the stroker taipipe (c/w spark arrester).

• dirtdad

Posted November 02, 2000 - 07:27 AM

Taffy, Do you know what kind of jetting changes would be required with that combo? I here Stroker sends all new items for this with their S/A but that is for running the stock header. What does the power bomb add to the equation? From what I've read, the
Stroker S/A makes the 426 VERY smooth down
low. Enough to almost make it ridable on tight trails. How much do you think would be given up on the track? Thanks in advance.

• techman

Posted November 02, 2000 - 06:31 PM

I run a corked up WR400 pipe on my YZ426 for compatibility-with-humans riding situations. It bolts right on. It's about as quiet as a DRZ400 in that form. The dB change is immense. The power is mellowed a bit on top (as expected from the high rev extra back pressure). You have to rejet a bit, I went one main leaner and dropped the needle one clip. Runs just fine and wheelies and roosts on demand.

I suspect the U.S. 01 WR426 will have the pipe already, with removable insert (which when removed makes it pretty much exactly as loud as the YZ - I measured them both) and will have trail friendly transmission ratios vs the YZ. However, the WR probably won't have the suspension adjustability of the YZ. Unless they change the rear shock for 01. There's always some tradeoff. Another big issue is the rock hard but agile to ride on YZ seat/tank vs the wider, guppy WR tank. There's plenty of discussion of that here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Clark_Mason

Posted November 02, 2000 - 10:36 PM

Jetting as follows:

PJ = 48

Fuel screw at 3/4 to 1.5 turns out

DVP needle fifth clip position from the top

178 to 180 MJ

DVP needle is Yamaha part # 5BE-14916-DP

Make sure the needle has DVP stamped on it in the last three letters

I have a 99 WR 400 with YZ cam timing and it is puched out to a 420 running a 13.5 to 1 Weisco piston.

• thebray

Posted November 04, 2000 - 06:02 AM

What do you mean by corked up?The packing?

• holeshot

Posted November 06, 2000 - 11:14 AM

Pro Circuit has recently offered a quiet core for their T-4 system, so you can run it one of three ways:

1. Open (loud)
2. With the screen insert (still loud)
3. With the quiet core/screen combo (29.95 extra). I've inquired PC about the quiet core, because I'm planning to try enduros and some (all?) have noise restrictions. They claim the quiet core will give a decible reading of under 92. I imagine it would hurt top end power a bit, and possibly require compromise jetting, to work with or without the quiet core.

You have to buy the entire system (header and silencer) with the T-4.

• techman

Posted November 07, 2000 - 08:49 PM

By corked up I mean it has the little insert still installed. Without the insert, the outlet is about 1 1/4" dia. and it's super loud. No, there's no packing in the WR400 muffler, just baffles. I'd say it scores low 90's dB and would pretty much be about the same as option 3 of Holeshot's posting, except maybe it weighs more than the Pro Circuit T4 system. The screen always stays in the WR400 pipe, unless you take off the entire rear plate! If a guy goes that far, might as well put the YZ pipe on - no screen, loud, high revving low restriction, run bigger jets again, lightweight and change the packing every so often.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.