2009 and 2010 YZ 450 comparison

28 replies to this topic
  • Dr.Crankenstien

Posted February 18, 2010 - 06:16 AM

2010 yz450 runs the same lap times as the rest for the 450's and the 09 yz 450 is right in there too. That test should have been new stock 09 vs new 2010. Yamaha paid off twmx to get all you pumped on the 2010. Look at Dirt Rider lap times for the 450's, looks like you guys would have been better off buying a kawasuckme.

You couldn't be farther from the truth :ride:

• grayracer513

Posted February 18, 2010 - 09:35 AM

I would take a paid riders opinion of the bike he paid to say good things about with a grain of salt to say the least.

It's always wise to avoid taking anyone's opinion at face value without giving some consideration to the source, motivation, etc. But consider this: Nick Wey was being asked his opinion of what is basically an off-the shelf kit bike that anyone with a credit card and a tool box can put together vs. one custom built for him by his then current employer. And, while one could question what he said on the basis that he had a bias one way or other, the fact remains he was significantly faster on the less powerful kit bike than his pro-built racer.

What I think you could have expected from that was that he would have still found his own bike more comfortable and familiar to the point that he would have been faster on it, and then talked about how close it came to rising to the same level. It was a little better than that, however, and I don't think it was a quid-pro-quo thing.

Look at Dirt Rider...

Why?

• 4Ds

Posted February 25, 2010 - 07:09 PM

So back to the originally posted question. Any one ride the 09 and 10 back to back? And what was your impression?

• wmosman

Posted September 18, 2011 - 12:52 PM

This post is fairly old, but as there are still a few new '09 450's for sale out there and the 2011 is virtually the same as the '10 I thought I would go ahead and chime in on the subject...also, I know there are plenty of riders out there on 06-09 YZ's that are considering a new bike so this thread may still be of some interest.
First off, if you currently own an older YZ450 in good working condition or are looking to purchase a new bike and know of an 06-09 YZ that has been well cared for (or is a dealer left-over), don't hesitate to pick one up up or throw a few bucks towards freshening up your older model. I've owned both the 09 and '11 YZs, and while there are certain aspects of the newer model that improve upon the older bikes, as a whole I would have to say that I actually prefer my '09 to the '11, especially for trailriding. If you're a full-time motocrosser, or just absolutely have to have the latest and "greatest" thing out there, than the new YZ may be the bike for you...if not, save yourself a boat-load of bucks and stick with the older models until Yamaha comes out with the next iteration of the new-generation 450.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rdefonce

Posted September 19, 2011 - 08:44 AM

Yep I believe this is still a relavent topic . . I had '08, now I have '10.
Definitely not a night/day diff between them. My speed is about the same on both.

That said, I love the hassle-free FI! (going to Coli in a couple weeks for some high altitude riding, then coming back and riding "Mammoth East" yearly event at low altitude . . . NO Jetting changes required.;-)

• no air charlie

Posted September 19, 2011 - 10:31 AM

This post is fairly old, but as there are still a few new '09 450's for sale out there and the 2011 is virtually the same as the '10 I thought I would go ahead and chime in on the subject...also, I know there are plenty of riders out there on 06-09 YZ's that are considering a new bike so this thread may still be of some interest.
First off, if you currently own an older YZ450 in good working condition or are looking to purchase a new bike and know of an 06-09 YZ that has been well cared for (or is a dealer left-over), don't hesitate to pick one up up or throw a few bucks towards freshening up your older model. I've owned both the 09 and '11 YZs, and while there are certain aspects of the newer model that improve upon the older bikes, as a whole I would have to say that I actually prefer my '09 to the '11, especially for trailriding. If you're a full-time motocrosser, or just absolutely have to have the latest and "greatest" thing out there, than the new YZ may be the bike for you...if not, save yourself a boat-load of bucks and stick with the older models until Yamaha comes out with the next iteration of the new-generation 450.

I would definitely agree with you on the trail riding part. I think the off idle jerkiness of the 10/11 bikes fuel injection would be annoying in "tight woods" conditions. However, for motocross the 10/11 bikes abilty to turn without constantly washing the front end is a big benefit. For me (100% mx riding) I would much rather have the 10/11.

• rdefonce

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:05 AM

I would definitely agree with you on the trail riding part. I think the off idle jerkiness of the 10/11 bikes fuel injection would be annoying in "tight woods" conditions. However, for motocross the 10/11 bikes abilty to turn without constantly washing the front end is a big benefit. For me (100% mx riding) I would much rather have the 10/11.

My '08 didn't wash the front end. I've read a lot of posts saying the turning issues were fixed by '08 . . . was your YZ was older?

• blakers213

Posted September 20, 2011 - 04:56 AM

My 09 turns like a dream. Front end sticks if you are up on the seat. The only thing I didn't like was the low end power was boring but an easy fix with a pipe. Never rode a 2010 to compare.

• honda907

Posted September 21, 2011 - 01:41 PM

So back to the originally posted question. Any one ride the 09 and 10 back to back? And what was your impression?

I have. Here is a link to this very topic. Page down a little and I have a post on there.

http://www.thumperta...7649&highlight=

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.