Help, Engine wont start. (yz426)

6 replies to this topic
  • smith6653

Posted January 24, 2010 - 04:37 PM

I bought this bike and it was not running. Seems like it has very little compression. I am just wondering where to start. Guy i bought it from said it just needs a cylinder/piston. Any suggestions will be helpful. Thanks (Its getting spark but will not even attempt to run.)

• 642MX

Posted January 24, 2010 - 04:39 PM

I'd check the timing and valve clearances first.

• smith6653

Posted January 24, 2010 - 05:40 PM

I've checked the timing to the best of my knowledge. Not for sure about valve clearances. Would a bad cylinder/piston or rings cause it to not even try to run?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pembell

Posted January 25, 2010 - 11:23 PM

I've checked the timing to the best of my knowledge. Not for sure about valve clearances. Would a bad cylinder/piston or rings cause it to not even try to run?

If there's no compression, it won't fire, so it won't run.

When you press down on the kickstart, do you get to a point where the kickstart won't go further, ie a hard point? If not, then you've got no compression, so either the rings or valves or maybe the valvelifter could be a problem.

• Rude Riders

Posted January 25, 2010 - 11:29 PM

be sure to check your valve clearances and timing chain tightness this can cause low compression and no starting. Then go from there

• smith6653

Posted January 26, 2010 - 05:04 AM

theres definitely no hard point when i press the kickstart, its looks as if the valves are operating correctly, i guess i will check the clearances and if that doesnt work move on down to check the rings/cylinder.

• tech24

Posted January 26, 2010 - 05:09 AM

+1 on valve clearences, if a valve or valves are hanging open this will cause your problem.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.