2001 WR426 or WR250F

8 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 01, 2000 - 01:48 PM

I am trying to decide what bike to buy.I currently own a 98 YZ400.When I ride it's usually done on the trails in northern Michigan. My YZ is way to much bike for trail riding with my experience.A freind told me that a WR426 is geared differently than the YZ.So I was leaning toward the 426 because I am 260 lbs. The 250 may not have the balls with me on it i'm afraid.The dealer is going to take delivery soon on the WR 426 and I need to make up my mind before they sell it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Taffy

Posted November 01, 2000 - 03:11 PM

i enter the ring at 200lb on my late 99 WR.

from what i can make out you will get a lovely wide box with the WR, you can tune/de-tune the engine. problem is my 260lb friend, the sussies come a little softer! if you had to uprate your YZ you will have to for sure on the WR, therefore the costs cancel out. the guys here are more into the correct poundage, figures etc. you'll need to take this into account $ wise.

reliability wise, the WR is 100% & the outgoing YZ426 is er 95%!!!!!

you'll never notice the difference in bike weight unless you race'n'rally.

your staying blue that's proof that whichever you take your buying the right bike.

Taffy

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 01, 2000 - 03:47 PM

Thanks Taffy, I'm hoping I can get a few other suggestions soon :)

Originally posted by gagnonde@home.com:
I am trying to decide what bike to buy.I currently own a 98 YZ400.When I ride it's usually done on the trails in northern Michigan. My YZ is way to much bike for trail riding with my experience.A freind told me that a WR426 is geared differently than the YZ.So I was leaning toward the 426 because I am 260 lbs. The 250 may not have the balls with me on it i'm afraid.The dealer is going to take delivery soon on the WR 426 and I need to make up my mind before they sell it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• keith

Posted November 23, 2000 - 05:57 AM

I am about 25 pounds shy of 260. I have owned nothing but open-class bikes since I was about 14. The smaller displacement bikes have to turn higher RPM'S to make the power you will need. I would definately say that the wr426 is the way to go for you.

KDK

Originally posted by gagnonde@home.com:
Thanks Taffy, I'm hoping I can get a few other suggestions soon :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PHI

Posted November 23, 2000 - 07:05 AM

gagnonde@home,

I'm from the other side(DRZ-400 forum). First off, I have nothing against Yamaha, they make some awsome bikes. In your situation though I would recommend that you atleast entertain the thought of buying the DRZ-400e. It has an electric start,is made for trail riding and cost less than the WR426. I just spoke to a guy last weekend that prefers the DRZ over his own YZ-426 for trail riding. He is also kinda heavy,around 235 or so. I'm in the same boat as you. I am looking to buy a new bike but think the YZ will be a bit too much for my skill level. I plan on buying the DRZ. From everything I have read and heard about, it just makes the most sense. Take a look at the DRZ forum, ask questions and learn about this great bike. What do you have to loose? Do you know anyone that would let you test ride their DRZ?

• motoman393

Posted November 23, 2000 - 06:19 PM

why waste the money on a new bike...put a heavier flywheel on your YZ400 so you can chug through the woods and then when you go to the motocross track put on your stock flywheel! Many people do this to tame the crazy acceleration of the YZ! Hope this helps!

Garrett

------------------
I get my kicks on a 2001' YZ426!
Friendswood, TX

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 25, 2000 - 12:38 PM

Originally posted by PHI:
gagnonde@home,

I'm from the other side(DRZ-400 forum). First off, I have nothing against Yamaha, they make some awsome bikes. In your situation though I would recommend that you atleast entertain the thought of buying the DRZ-400e. It has an electric start,is made for trail riding and cost less than the WR426. I just spoke to a guy last weekend that prefers the DRZ over his own YZ-426 for trail riding. He is also kinda heavy,around 235 or so. I'm in the same boat as you. I am looking to buy a new bike but think the YZ will be a bit too much for my skill level. I plan on buying the DRZ. From everything I have read and heard about, it just makes the most sense. Take a look at the DRZ forum, ask questions and learn about this great bike. What do you have to loose? Do you know anyone that would let you test ride their DRZ?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 25, 2000 - 12:38 PM

Originally posted by PHI:
gagnonde@home,

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted November 25, 2000 - 12:46 PM

Oppps I hit the wrong button. Anyway thanks for the replies ! To answer a question or two,I am looking for a bike I can put a licience plate on so I don't get busted by the Michigan DNR. And, I have thought of the Suzuki but I have had a great time riding blue and white. However I will consider everything. Again thanks alot,I still haven't got a call from the dealer on the delivery date for the WR yet

Originally posted by gagnonde:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.