450 Shoot out

30 replies to this topic
  • smileyman

Posted January 23, 2010 - 06:43 PM

Dirt Bike magazine just picked the 2010 Yamaha as the best 450 !

• hawaiidirtrider

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Dirt Bike magazine just picked the 2010 Yamaha as the best 450 !

If you are referring to the Feb. 2010 Dirt Bike it was 1)KTM 2)Yamaha 3)Kawasaki 4)Honda . They said all the bikes were very close though.

• Mike546

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:36 PM

He meant Dirt Rider magazine picked the YZ450F as #1. But from what I've read on here about the last few shootouts most of you guys don't trust magazine shootouts. :banghead:

• bill97gtp

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:11 PM

Me being middle of the road rider they are all the best.....just some a little better than others

• FinchFan194

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:58 PM

Honestly I say go sit on them and figure out which one feels like home or pick a color.

• dvn

Posted January 24, 2010 - 04:33 AM

Magazine shootouts are a joke! It's all about advertising dollars. All these bikes are good. You just have to ride them and see which one works best for YOU. I'll bet all the folks who'll carry on about the 2010 winning a shootout are the same people who, when the 09 finished last, said the mags were full of it. :ride:

He meant Dirt Rider magazine picked the YZ450F as #1. But from what I've read on here about the last few shootouts most of you guys don't trust magazine shootouts. :banghead:

They only trust them when Yamaha wins! :bonk:

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2010 - 09:10 AM

Magazine shootouts are a joke! It's all about advertising dollars. All these bikes are good. You just have to ride them and see which one works best for YOU. I'll bet all the folks who'll carry on about the 2010 winning a shootout are the same people who, when the 09 finished last, said the mags were full of it. :bonk:

They only trust them when Yamaha wins! :banghead:

I'm not quite cynical enough to think there's a link between the ad money spent and the results. For one thing, Yamaha is spending big on the '10, with two page spreads and stuff, and while I didn't really look for it, I don't recall seeing a KTM ad.

Nor do I agree that there's no clear best choice.

But I do agree that the shootouts are pretty meaningless, and they're definitely way too subjective. The staff at one mag turned consistently lower lap times on a YZ450 two years in a row and didn't pick it. I thought that was the idea, but what do I know?

And you're right, when the YZ wins, "everybody" says the shootout was great, and the mag guys are right on. When it looses, they don't know what they're talking about.

• FinchFan194

Posted January 24, 2010 - 11:19 AM

Did they do "dyno results" on this shootout? We all know that is an important concern when buying a new bike. (cough, sarcasm, cough)

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2010 - 12:07 PM

I just read the entire DirtRider test..another pointless really incomplete test comparison test IMHO. Yea it is great Yami won, don't get me wrong but it is funny how every test rider has a different take on every bike....not because they are a pro expert or novice...seems to be what flavor do you like...ok that one is the best....
Jimmy Lewis who we all luv, picked the Yami because it was the easiest to ride....in so many words...
there was no overall majority in the results so I guess Jimmy gets to pick the winner.
Interesting that this year there is absolutely no bike consistancy between mags and their 450 test....why do I care anyway

• Luv2crash

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:16 PM

The way i read, was they are ALL great, so they just described the characteristics of them each, for engine and chassis, and they let you pick whats suits your personality baised on that. Hovever they picked a winner, which is dumb IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tony222

Posted January 24, 2010 - 03:59 PM

The suspension can be changed, the powercurve can be changed, the feel of a bike can be changed with seats, footpegs, bars, levers, gearshifters, brakepedals etc. But the chassis will always be the same, with the exception of tripple clamps and linkages. So thats what i look at when picking a winner for myself.

• Gunner354

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:50 AM

The suspension can be changed, the powercurve can be changed, the feel of a bike can be changed with seats, footpegs, bars, levers, gearshifters, brakepedals etc. But the chassis will always be the same, with the exception of tripple clamps and linkages. So thats what i look at when picking a winner for myself.

It boils down to reliability for me. I want to ride hundreds of hours before I have spend big bucks on the motor. That's why I will only ride Yamaha!
News flash Honda owners- Valve problems are not part of routine maintence on all modern 4 stroke bikes!

• swatdoc

Posted January 26, 2010 - 06:22 PM

It's gonna be interesting to see how the valvetrain on the 2010's holds up over time. The reason Yamahas have been so good with valve life is the design of their 5 valve head. One of the many reasons I went with a Yamaha for my street driven supermoto bike. Now the 2010's have totally redesigned the head and gone with a 4 valve design. Time will tell if this new design is a step in the wrong direction for longevity purposes. No doubt the performance will be helped with the new design, but at what cost?

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2010 - 07:27 PM

No, sorry, the valve problems other bikes have had was never related to 4 vs. 5 valves:

http://www.thumperta...857#post8599857

• twenty34

Posted January 26, 2010 - 07:40 PM

Just a hunch of course, but when the KTM 350 comes into existence, I'd be a betting man they will call it the best bike in the 450 class.

Maybe I'm presumptuous.

• FinchFan194

Posted January 26, 2010 - 08:23 PM

Just a hunch of course, but when the KTM 350 comes into existence, I'd be a betting man [COLOR="Red"]they will call it the best bike in the 450 class.[/COLOR]

Maybe I'm presumptuous.

. . .and then you woke up.

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2010 - 08:56 PM

. . .and then you woke up.

Don't tell me that went over your head... :ride:

• FinchFan194

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:06 PM

Don't tell me that went over your head... :ride:

LOL nice try! Actually I wouldn't know if it went over my head. . .dude does have a KTM as his avatar pic:thumbsup:

• ectm3

Posted January 27, 2010 - 11:58 AM

My friend has a 2010 rmz450 and that thing rips.If i ever sway away from yamaha,im going with the 2010 suzuki rmz450.Excellent all around bike.

• Thumper38

Posted January 27, 2010 - 01:04 PM

To each there own! I had a 06, 07, 08, 09, Kawi and I can say the Yami feels more comfortable, and the suspension stock is better than my modded 09 stuff! I love it so far!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.