'06 front axle nut

7 replies to this topic
  • cbwood

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:47 AM

Seem my front wheel axle nut is aluminum. No way to get to the 75 ft/lbs of torq. Any one else have this?

• Smokeslider

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:45 AM

What's the problem exactly?

• SAthump

Posted January 23, 2010 - 11:00 AM

I only put 60lbs on them, and I replaced the aluminum with the older model steel ones. I have had two nuts bust from trying to use the manuals torque.

• cbwood

Posted January 23, 2010 - 08:50 PM

Just trying to see if people are really leaning on these nuts to 75#. Theres no way I could get close and not strip it out. Is it a bug deal to just snug it up and set the axle clamping bolts as advertised. How far back to get the steel ones?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:19 PM

i tourqe to what the manuals sey, never had a problem.

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2010 - 08:34 AM

Yes, the nut is aluminum, but I've never used a torque wrench on an axle nut that I can recall, and never had a problem with either stripped axle nuts or wheels coming loose. I check mine a while ago when this subject came up, and it looks like I end up setting them to around 50-60 ft/lb. I don't think it really needs to be tighter than that, but that's me.

But I do use a torque wrench on the nut at the steering stem, which is also aluminum, and that one is set at 105 ft/lb. Never had a problem there either.

• cbwood

Posted January 24, 2010 - 09:48 AM

That sounds more along the lines of what I'm finding. Thanks.

A bit of a digression or maybe a new thread but did find some weld splatter in the head tube. Stuck in the grease on the lower bearing. Give the whole thing a good cleaning before repacking.

Edited by cbwood, January 24, 2010 - 12:06 PM.

• myoung

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:54 PM

Stripped the original on my '09 and went to steel, fixed!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.