bike burns oil after running it with to much oil

1 reply to this topic
  • Hempstead

Posted January 22, 2010 - 10:31 PM

i recently aquired a 07 yz450f used of coarse. after riding it around the shop for a bit i chnaged the oil and air filter and some other basic things.. when i did this i only drained oil out of the lower drain plug on the bottom of the case

I added the amount 1.1 liters or something like that cant remeber. started the bike up everythings fine. i took it on a few rides after that. something felt funny.

After more reading on here i realized i had overfilled the oil. so i quickly chanaged the oil in a correct procedure as to have the correct volume of oil. ever since them it seems to burn oil. as in visbly seeing white smoke and smeeling it. soemtimees more than others sometimes alot sometimes very little.

Could have runnign to much oil hurt something and caused it to do this?:banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2010 - 08:52 AM

You are probably seeing nothing more than the smoke from an oily exhaust. That can take a while to clear out.

Running too much oil won't hurt anything, really, and it won't cause oil consumption in the long term. Correct the oil level and watch it for a while. Once the smoke clears, so to speak, you'll have something to laugh about.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.