Dont buy the dr.d exhaust 06-09 yz450f

44 replies to this topic
  • ectm3

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:27 AM

a design flaw and scrap metal eh?
Sorry dude no offense but you are just plain lazy...it takes all of 30 extra sec's to loosen the header....and it only needs to be loosened slightly to get the oil filter bolt out.
No wonder no one at DRD would give you the time of day. :banghead:

My White Bros low boy pipe also is the same but I figured out how to remove the top oil filter bolt w/o loosening the header. .....use a allenhead wrench on the top bolt to loosen it, remove the other bolts first and wiggle the top bolt out np....

Dont you realize what your saying?Obviously its not difficult to loosen the bolts on the header and its not about being lazy.Talk to mark tilley at dubach racing maybe he can explain the situation to you.Sometimes companies produce products that are off spec but have had so many complaints they stop listening.One of the guys i race with also has the same Dr.d system that fits much better and doesnt even cover the bolt,you do the math.Maybe there quality controll sucks,maybe they have recieved so many complaints that the just dont care anymore.:bonk::bonk::ride:

• grayracer513

Posted January 24, 2010 - 08:58 AM

Dont you realize what your saying?Obviously its not difficult to loosen the bolts on the header ...

Then what's this little smear campaign about, exactly?

The header does interfere with the oil filter cover in most cases, and that isn't news to most people here. It is a bit annoying, and if that in itself is enough for you to decide you don't want it, then don't buy it. If you feel like you were blind sided by not being aware of this ahead of time, then by all means get on the board and post your experience so that more people might be able to consider that in deciding whether to buy it. But when you come on with this whole "don't buy it!", "poorly engineered", "scrap metal" thing, it sounds like petty, vindictive anger, and a desire to get back at DRD, or that there is something really wrong with the product, which there clearly is not.

In all, as I said, and as you conceded, it's really just a minor nuisance. Something that would be nice to know up front, yes, but not enough to call it a bad product when it's actually one of the best values in the business.

• hadameo

Posted January 24, 2010 - 09:01 AM

I have owned many DR D pipes and liked them,i went to the FMF with the power bomb on my fo fiddy YZ and love the power!!!!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 24, 2010 - 12:17 PM

Dont you realize what your saying?Obviously its not difficult to loosen the bolts on the header and its not about being lazy.Talk to mark tilley at dubach racing maybe he can explain the situation to you.Sometimes companies produce products that are off spec but have had so many complaints they stop listening.One of the guys i race with also has the same Dr.d system that fits much better and doesnt even cover the bolt,you do the math.Maybe there quality controll sucks,maybe they have recieved so many complaints that the just dont care anymore.:bonk::bonk::ride:

yes I realize what I am saying...it takes 30sec to loosen the headpipe.
If Mark T is understanding and agrees there is a design flaw why won't he send you a new pipe ? Maybe you should ask to speak to Doug or his wife - they have swapped stuff out for me. And did Wes 09 450 another TT'er just go through this? Maybe their head pipe Jigman needs to stop shaking :-)
DRD used to have Procircuit make their pipes when the company first started and they had some fit issues then. I had them swap out for me then..
All I am saying is that the DRD headpipe hangs low, like it or not. Get them to send another and see if the top filter bolt will clear the pipe..sorry to call you lazy. :banghead:

• Spyder500r

Posted January 24, 2010 - 12:39 PM

lol Id understand if you were talking about the header pipe on an old Honda CBX inline 6, or maybe dealing with an old inline 4 sport bike with a Vance and Hines header because there was issues with them getting in the way of the oil filter replacement. You have to remove the WHOLE EXHAUST, which doesnt take that long

But your talking about a dirtbike dude.. is it really that much of a hassle to pull off or adjust an exhaust to clear a couple bolts or cover? I mean really.. You can dismantle the whole back section of an MX bike WITH the whole exhaust in the matter of a few minutes and your worried about that?

I dont even have a DR.D and Ive heard nothing but good things about these pipes.. Granted accessibility is great when you dont have to mess with #2 and #3 just to get #1 done. But if an aftermarket pipe designed to give you a different range of power has a different bend or extra pipe that gets in the way of an extra 5 minutes in an oil change, I think its worth it lol

• myoung

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:50 PM

Sorry ectm3, but it sounds more like you have an axe to grind than any facts about the quality or performance of the DrD exhaust. I imagine DrD isn't doing anything to change the design because 99.9% of their customers don't sweat stupid things like a little bolt clearance that's easily dealt with.

• ectm3

Posted January 25, 2010 - 01:05 AM

Then what's this little smear campaign about, exactly?

The header does interfere with the oil filter cover in most cases, and that isn't news to most people here. It is a bit annoying, and if that in itself is enough for you to decide you don't want it, then don't buy it. If you feel like you were blind sided by not being aware of this ahead of time, then by all means get on the board and post your experience so that more people might be able to consider that in deciding whether to buy it. But when you come on with this whole "don't buy it!", "poorly engineered", "scrap metal" thing, it sounds like petty, vindictive anger, and a desire to get back at DRD, or that there is something really wrong with the product, which there clearly is not.

In all, as I said, and as you conceded, it's really just a minor nuisance. Something that would be nice to know up front, yes, but not enough to call it a bad product when it's actually one of the best values in the business.

People should have the choice.A design flaw makes it a bad product.I do all my own mechanical work on all 3 of my bikes,Yz450f,yz250f,yfz450 suspension motor work;whatever.I try out different products all the time,pro circuit,Ice cube,hot cams,yoshimura,tokyo mods and on and on.I havent run into a product that i wasnt satified with until now.The Dr,d pipe burns through packing in about 10 hours or less,and covers the oil pump cover.My fmf pipe is a all arond better system ,and with their take 20% offer on it shows their commitment to the motocross community.If you want to settle for second best buy the Dr.d system.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2010 - 07:16 AM

The Dr,d pipe burns through packing in about 10 hours or less,

They actually say that on their web site, too. They have a chart with a packing schedule, but I find that to be a bit like the recommendation by Yamaha to change the piston at 15 hours.

I haven't experienced problems with the packing that would be considered unusual on either of two YZ450's with DRD's. The FMF Factory 4 on my '03 was starting to fall apart when I sold it, though, and you can review the posts on FMF stuff and see that it isn't universally seen as perfect, either. Sorry, but it still sounds like a grudge to me.

• Yamaha8519B

Posted January 25, 2010 - 08:19 PM

People should have the choice.A design flaw makes it a bad product.I do all my own mechanical work on all 3 of my bikes,Yz450f,yz250f,yfz450 suspension motor work;whatever.I try out different products all the time,pro circuit,Ice cube,hot cams,yoshimura,tokyo mods and on and on.I havent run into a product that i wasnt satified with until now.The Dr,d pipe burns through packing in about 10 hours or less,and covers the oil pump cover.My fmf pipe is a all arond better system ,and with their take 20% offer on it shows their commitment to the motocross community.If you want to settle for second best buy the Dr.d system.

FMFs take 20% is only helping FMF. They took that off of retail but didn't lower dealer. They make the same. You pay the same since motosport and most other places already sell them at a discount. Shops still make no money to help stay in business.

I agree with you on the Dr d. It should clearly say there are clearance issues. Loosening the header is not hard but you risk a leaking exhaust gasket. Its dumb to keep arguing about it. The info is out so people can decide what to get on their own.

• Lota Fun R

Posted January 26, 2010 - 03:44 AM

I think you've done more to promote their product than anything. :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperKid250F

Posted January 26, 2010 - 07:48 AM

ive had the dr.d on my 06450 and i love it.. its a strong system and brings a ton of bottem end and midrange on my bike..

i would buy again if i had too..

• Spyder500r

Posted January 26, 2010 - 08:14 AM

I think you've done more to promote their product than anything. :ride:

:lol:

• Yamaha8519B

Posted January 26, 2010 - 10:10 AM

Why would that be? Like I said the consumers are paying the same too. You could be getting it for 20% less than any price you have seen before. That includes from motosport outlet. The whole point of the program was to supposedly get people into their local shops.

• honda907

Posted January 26, 2010 - 11:54 AM

This thread got me thinking. I have trouble getting the top bolt out on my 09 450. I run a stainless steel filter. Haven't checked it in maybe 20-25 hours. Do oil changes every hour to hour and a half. Decided to check the filter, so I have to take the silencer off and loosen the header bolts. Filter looked clean, washed it in gas, and by god it was almost clean. Just a couple of really small particles. and I mean a small amount ( like enough to fit onto the head of two pins)

Why am I telling you guys this? I got a Stainless steel filter so I don't have to do the exhaust thing. With SS, you don't have to worry about the fibers breaking down. Plus I still change my oil often(what a mess on a Yamaha, compared to a Honda)

Exhaust packing has been an issue, as the original type packing only last about 5-7 hours. Get the Pro packing. It's more, but the core is steel wool, so it last about twice as long. I think the packing still blows out fast, but I guess the performance is worth it.

• Parx_400

Posted January 26, 2010 - 07:34 PM

Sorry but the OP is coming off as an astronomical Fail. The DrD pipe is great. Quality is nice and the fit is perfect. Yes it hangs in front of the oil filter but its not a big deal. For me it perfect to clear the super low IMS tank. Had you read any reviews of the pipe you would have found this fact out.

• Mike546

Posted January 27, 2010 - 05:51 AM

Some of you have the problem with the filter bolt and some do not so it must be a quality control issue. Nothing like loosening a header after you just warmed the bike up for 3 or four minutes to warm the oil.

• ectm3

Posted January 27, 2010 - 08:42 AM

Your still missing the point.Is it hard to take the header of (no)does the system produce good low-mid torque(yes)Its not a smear campain,no ones out to get doug dubach,in fact my local mx deaership puts togeather a bike for him to ride the vet class in canada.Ive raced with the guy and hes a pretty solid guy.The DESIGN of the header doesnt meet my standards PERIOD.Everyone is entitled to their opinion,and i dont like it when its twisted into something its not.Hopefully common sense will prevail an those people will see the direction of this post.

• ectm3

Posted January 27, 2010 - 08:57 AM

Sorry but the OP is coming off as an astronomical Fail. The DrD pipe is great. Quality is nice and the fit is perfect. Yes it hangs in front of the oil filter but its not a big deal. For me it perfect to clear the super low IMS tank. Had you read any reviews of the pipe you would have found this fact out.

Its not a OP as you called it.It just doesnt meet my standards,its not a big deal to re-move the header.My opinion on the matter is that it could be designed to fit the bike better.I also run a ims desert tank,that doesnt interfere with any exhaust system that ive tried so far.Which system iterferes with the ims tank?

• ectm3

Posted January 27, 2010 - 09:01 AM

Why would that be? Like I said the consumers are paying the same too. You could be getting it for 20% less than any price you have seen before. That includes from motosport outlet. The whole point of the program was to supposedly get people into their local shops.

If you check out the fmf website Don emler has a video blog on fmf and their direction on the 20% offer.

• grayracer513

Posted January 27, 2010 - 09:01 AM

I think we've already seen the direction of the post all the way along:

Dont buy the dr.d exhaust 06-09 yz450f:eek:This exhaust system for the yz450f 06-09 is poorly engineered.

Maybe DR.D should send out extra parts with his exhaust systems so you can fix his design flaws.

A lot of finger pointing, aspersions, and exaggeration. (before you challenge me on the exaggeration angle, I will clarify that that would be the part about having to remove the header to service the filter, and then having to remove the rest of the pipe to reseal it. Neither of those things need to be done)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.