? about "seating" the pilot screw

5 replies to this topic
  • PAKDXYZ

Posted January 22, 2010 - 02:46 PM

Just got one of the extended pilot screws for my 426. The pilot screw I took out was missing the little rubber o-ring at the end of it. I am assuming this is what allowed it turn rather easily untill bottoming out. My question is this, when reading about doing the Initial pilot screw setting before fine tuning it says turn the screw in until it lightly seats then turn out your 1 1/4 to 2 turns. Does lightly seat mean when it bottoms out or when you first feel some pressure when turning the screw. This new screw has a totally different feel with the correct o-ring in place and just wanted to double check.
Thanks

• cowboyona426

Posted January 22, 2010 - 03:20 PM

Lightly seated means bottomed out, but without getting all Hercules trying to get it REALLY bottomed out.

• cwcarter

Posted January 22, 2010 - 03:22 PM

Screw it all the way in until it bottoms out. Don't force it though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ectm3

Posted January 22, 2010 - 05:59 PM

When i change out my fuel screw i like to stretch the spring a bit,but be careful to leave room on the screw for the 'o' ring and washer.You always hear about fuel screws falling out,this will help keep pressure on the fuel screw and keep it from spinning freely.Just a friendly tip rider to rider.

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted January 22, 2010 - 08:28 PM

Just got one of the extended pilot screws for my 426. The pilot screw I took out was missing the little rubber o-ring at the end of it. I am assuming this is what allowed it turn rather easily untill bottoming out. My question is this, when reading about doing the Initial pilot screw setting before fine tuning it says turn the screw in until it lightly seats then turn out your 1 1/4 to 2 turns. Does lightly seat mean when it bottoms out or when you first feel some pressure when turning the screw. This new screw has a totally different feel with the correct o-ring in place and just wanted to double check.
Thanks

Sometimes the oring will stay up inside the carb and not come out with the fuel screw. A dental pick tool will get it out. Maybe you are running 2 of them now?

• PAKDXYZ

Posted January 22, 2010 - 10:20 PM

Sometimes the oring will stay up inside the carb and not come out with the fuel screw. A dental pick tool will get it out. Maybe you are running 2 of them now?

No, I thought the same thing but there was nothing up in there.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.