Lighter battery options 07 WR 450

25 replies to this topic
  • Dan250

Posted January 22, 2010 - 11:03 AM

I have experimented with a couple of versions of lithium ion cell batteries but with the possible overcharge conditions this may not be the safest route.
Has anyone tried the smaller led acid battery YTX5L-BS from the WR 250. It is only 1.25 lb lighter but every bit helps. The CCA is quiet a bit lower. This seams like an easy try for the guys that own both bikes. Let me know what you think.

• Chas_M

Posted January 22, 2010 - 11:50 AM

It's too bad that you got disenchanted with the Lithium ion batteries, as they have several benefits. There are many satisfied customers out there currently using JoeT's TurnTech Li battery. I have been using them successfully since they first became available in both of my KTM's.

Edited by Chas_M, January 22, 2010 - 06:48 PM.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 22, 2010 - 12:57 PM

It's too bad that you got disenchanted with the Lithium ion batteries, as they have have several benefits. There are many satisfied customers out there currently using JoeT's TurnTech Li battery. I have been using them successfully since they first became available in both of my KTM's.

+1 :banghead: especially seeing that you can buy and build the battery for half the cost!

http://www.thumperta...2&highlight=diy

• spdnjoe

Posted January 22, 2010 - 01:33 PM

This is what you need. I ran it on my CBR1000RR.

http://www.carbon-speed.com/prod.htm

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 22, 2010 - 01:46 PM

This is what you need. I ran it on my CBR1000RR.

http://www.carbon-speed.com/prod.htm

looks like an over priced ebatt

• Tile Guy

Posted January 22, 2010 - 09:05 PM

pepboys has batteries. i bought one for my 08 and has been working really good for me, i think it was like 24 dlls. i've had it for a year now so i think it's worth it. check them out

• drick

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:16 AM

I have experimented with a couple of versions of lithium ion cell batteries but with the possible overcharge conditions this may not be the safest route.

has anyone on the forum had an overcharge event, and if so with what battery?

• ASternad

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:23 PM

I have a TurnTech 2.5, tried to install it in my 09 wr450, too big width wise.
I ended up using it in my KTM450. So far no issues, works fine. There are plenty of guys on the Husky forum using these batt's in 250,450, 510's. Their always looking for weight savings.

• byggd

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:35 PM

http://www.ebattonline.com/

• tribalbc

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:54 PM

I've used Ebatts for 3yrs. First the Nicads now the Lithium. Never an issue with overcharging and my bike gets reved out hard in 3hr races.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Dave

Posted January 24, 2010 - 07:17 AM

has anyone on the forum had an overcharge event, and if so with what battery?

If your batteries are overcharging it's the regulator that has a problem not the battery. I have had my 2.5Ah turntech for 1 full year now and it works perfectly. WR Dave

Edited by WR_Dave, January 24, 2010 - 01:20 PM.

• ASternad

Posted January 24, 2010 - 08:54 AM

WR_Dave how did you get the TurnTech batt to fit in the tray?

• projected

Posted January 24, 2010 - 09:12 AM

WR_Dave how did you get the TurnTech batt to fit in the tray?

I just ordered one I hope it's going to fit......

• ASternad

Posted January 24, 2010 - 12:52 PM

What bike are you going to put it in?

• projected

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:15 PM

07 WR450 - forgot to update my sig...

• WR_Dave

Posted January 24, 2010 - 01:18 PM

What bike are you going to put it in?

I used the earlier version which didn't have a cover on it. Maybe that is the issue, since I haven't seen the newer ones. Here is my thread on our local clubs forum. WR Dave http://forums.rmdra.....php?f=3&t=4002

• drick

Posted January 24, 2010 - 02:29 PM

just out of curiosity did you compare it to the ebatt at all?

• projected

Posted January 24, 2010 - 04:38 PM

I used the earlier version which didn't have a cover on it. Maybe that is the issue, since I haven't seen the newer ones. Here is my thread on our local clubs forum. WR Dave http://forums.rmdra.....php?f=3&t=4002

Thanks. It looks like turntech has added a gray plastice case to their battery since you bought yours. Just comparing yours to the pics on the turntech site...

just out of curiosity did you compare it to the ebatt at all?

Yeah I had an ebatt ordered but canceled to order the turntech. The reason for the change was that ebatt recommends you don't run a hose on their battery. This is unacceptable since I routinely was my bikes with the seat off and a twin air cover to clean inside the airbox. I really didn't feel like removing the batter every time I want to do a "good" washing. The turntech appears to be well sealed and they make no mention of avoiding water.

• SAthump

Posted January 24, 2010 - 05:25 PM

It won't fit in with the case. The case tappers and is wider on top than the advertised size. You will need to remover it from the case. I wrapped mine in silicone tape.

• drick

Posted January 24, 2010 - 07:27 PM

Yeah I had an ebatt ordered but canceled to order the turntech. The reason for the change was that ebatt recommends you don't run a hose on their battery. This is unacceptable since I routinely was my bikes with the seat off and a twin air cover to clean inside the airbox. I really didn't feel like removing the batter every time I want to do a "good" washing. The turntech appears to be well sealed and they make no mention of avoiding water.

great point, you just sold me on it as well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.