2010 skid plate

this may all ready been asked but anybody running a works conect - skid plate, just got mine looks like it will have to come off every time oil changes are due is this right? hopefully fit it up tomorrow, just seems like its gonna be pain the bumm to get that bolt out with out removing the skid plate.

• 4 weeks later...

It may affect the strength if it is trimed any.......I was thinking.....instead of taking the whole plate off when changing the oil.....just take the back bolt off and then pull down on the plate just enough to gain access to the plug.

I havent tried this yet but it is just a simple thought that came to mind.

May just have to grind the side down some to get to the plug.

Hey Guys, I ran the works connection skid plate on my 2009 CRF450R and had to remove it each time I need to change the oil too.

As painful as it was there is a big benefit of removing the plate..... The foam retains a lot of moisture and dirt/mud build up during washing and riding and corrosion tends do develop FAST in the area, So just consider the removal of the plate part of the maintenance and cleaning regime.

I ended up removing the plate and foam each time i washed it, and washed out the foam let it dry and the plate and sprayed the underside of the crankcase with CRC Spray... Once you get in the groove of it it's not much of a chore.

Think I am going to stick with the stock plastic plate on the 2010 Yz450f I have now..

I also bought a bunch of the spare countersunk star head bolts from the bolt store as the star regularly striped out.

There's a way around most things, and while those of you who ride in a lot of mud, and/or run foam under the plate are well advised to remove the thing periodically for the reasons given, I don't have time for stuff like that just to do a simple oil change.

I'd have modified the plate to let me drain without removing it. As it happens, the Devol plate on my '06 will allow the removal of the sump drain without pulling the plate (reinstalling it is a skill test, however), and if I lean the bike to the right on a triangle stand, the oil drops free without making a mess.

The reason I asked was that if you had a problem with the front/left side because of skid plate wings, here's what I did about that:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8776187

I only suggested it for the forward drain bolt for the oil reservoir, under the water pump, which if you really put some thought to it, is the only one of the two that would be covered by the wings on a skid plate, eh? :ride:

The other one is basically in the same spot as the '06 sump drain is, and a very little bit of work would make it accessible.

I only suggested it for the forward drain bolt for the oil reservoir, under the water pump, which if you really put some thought to it, is the only one of the two that would be covered by the wings on a skid plate, eh? :ride:

The other one is basically in the same spot as the '06 sump drain is, and a very little bit of work would make it accessible.

Would you grind it or use a dremel tool and cut it?

I ran the WC skid plate and I couldn`t get over how much it made the engine noise echo louder. I was on the line once and a dude next to me asked if I had any oil in it. I ran a piece of rubber in there to quiet it down, but eventually got rid of the whole thing and ran the stocker.

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the oil in my 2010 ealier today and had to take the skid plate off by WORKS CONNECTION to get to the drain plug undernaeath the bike.

It wasnt that bad at all to take off and getting to the plug but it was a little agravating putting the plate back on cause you had to fool with the brackets getting them inline with the screws that hold the plate on in the front,as you can see the two screws in the pic.

DSC01140.jpg

The brackets are free floating and slide up and down on the frame.......so you have to turn the screw and catch the threads in the bracket so the screw can start to thread on.

I guess after a few oil changes it wont be so bad ta get the hang of. Its good to take the plate off and clean it and also clean the inside.