2005 WR450 Finally

9 replies to this topic
  • GCHEVY

Posted January 21, 2010 - 11:52 AM

I have been looking for a wr450 for about a year and a half I found one that has never had the Gray wire cliped or throttle stop removed. 3300.00 I feel it's a fare deal. How muck trouble is changing oil in this bike ? Any minor Mods you can suggest I would love your input. I am looking forward to riding w/ my family my 2 stroke days are over !!!

• Yamaha_Chuck

Posted January 21, 2010 - 03:35 PM

If you change the oil the way the service manual tells you, it can be a pain but it is not necessary to remove the screen. A lot of guys on here (including myself) only change the filter every other time. I change the oil every 300 miles and do the oil & filter at 600. It only takes one liter of oil. Hope you enjoy your new two you bike.

• jayh300

Posted January 21, 2010 - 03:38 PM

might be a little high, but that is all depending on how nice the bike is. i bought my 06 mid last year for 3000, but it needed a few things, so take that into consid...

make sure and get the manual, they are not that hard to work on or change oil... they do require more frequent oil changes... I am running the amsoil m/c synthetic and change it every second or third ride (depending on how far we ride each time)..
there is tons of info on those bikes on this site... check the top of this forum for tons of info...

i would get it and ride a little before you start moding it.... they are really good bikes..

welcome to TT

jay

• YamaLink

Posted January 22, 2010 - 08:18 AM

I change oil every 300 and filter every other oil change. Air filter usually gets cleaned with each oil change.

Set the sag (http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm) on your new bike, dial it in and have fun!

• Sundog

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:43 PM

If you like the bike and are willing to pay that price then go for it and be happy. I just picked up the same year as you with low miles (we just took off the original tires) for just over $2K. So deals can be had.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dazzabb

Posted January 25, 2010 - 03:16 AM

I go 1,000km (600 miles) before I change the oil with the filter.

I'm also lazy and dont bother to do the full Yamaha manual thing of taking out the filter in the oil lines.

I just take out the sump plug and the plug in the front of the frame and drain the oil.
Refill with Motul 300 V, check the oil level a couple of times and scoot off.

Done this for 3 years with no drama at all.

• GCHEVY

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:44 PM

tHANKS FOR THE INFO PICKED IT UP ON SAT RODE FOR 10 MINUTES 30 DEGREES AND MUDDY W/ KIDS

• GCHEVY

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:47 PM

I lost out on a couple of better deals but the timing was not good this bike is perfect a little higher than I wanted to pay but it is a one owner original tires and all. Have you done the gray wire disconnect ? I have been riding since I was 13 I am 44 now this bike is enough power for now ?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:50 PM

I go 1,000km (600 miles) before I change the oil with the filter.

I'm also lazy and dont bother to do the full Yamaha manual thing of taking out the filter in the oil lines.

I just take out the sump plug and the plug in the front of the frame and drain the oil.
Refill with Motul 300 V, check the oil level a couple of times and scoot off.

Done this for 3 years with no drama at all.

Agreed. I drain from the bottom and also from the plug in front of the frame only. Removing that oil line repeatedly really seems like it would cause some other problems. Its not always so easy to get off and I never once seen anything in there.

You'll probably have this bike for so long that the few hundred extra you paid won't mean anything.

Do the grey wire mod. If you are riding with the family, get he pro moto billet insert for the exhaust. Its plenty fast enough and will be quiet. When I ride with my daughters, I need to be able to hear their bikes and quads behind me. That's super, super important important because I can tell when they go down. If you aren't racing, then you don't need a $400 pipe for this bike.

I change my oil quite frequently (200-300 miles) and the filter every 3rd time. I buy 10 filters at a time from ebay.

Nowadays, I run a full synthetic oil and my bike runs and shifts so much better. I almost never overheat and my clutch is holding up quite well after a couple of years.

• denny49

Posted January 31, 2010 - 06:23 AM

I bought a 05WR450 last June for $3,800, it only had 195 miles on it, it was mint. The guy only rode it on his 12 acres of land. I was happy because everything i looked at was trash for at least 3 grand.I live in Michigan and the WR Yamahas are very popular.I put the ais removel kit on with the jetting and an adjustible air screw, its not so cold blooded as it was and comes off choke right away. I run the stock exhaust with the small outlet removed, its very quiet. Have fun on your new ride! Dennis

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.