2005 wr 450 HID kits.

6 replies to this topic
  • TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 20, 2010 - 10:30 PM

So im sure that you guys have seen the HID conversion kits, i would like to run one, but i am not sure if i need to have my stater rewound before i do so.

Thoughts or ideas anyone??

Thanks,
Eric.

• freerider_australia

Posted January 21, 2010 - 12:50 AM

the wr put out ac voltage i suspect that hid needs a stable dc 12 volt supply unless they are designed to go on the ac supply

• cat0020

Posted January 21, 2010 - 12:15 PM

For 2005 model you should be okay, if you can't use the OEM headlight wiring to connect to the HID ballast, connect the ballast directly to the battery with a relay, that should work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PBDBLUE

Posted January 21, 2010 - 02:21 PM

For 2005 model you should be okay, if you can't use the OEM headlight wiring to connect to the HID ballast, connect the ballast directly to the battery with a relay, that should work.

Huh???....As far as I know the electrical system in the WR is the same from 2003 - 2009. The oem headlight runs on AC and the DC circuit that charges the battery only puts out about 2 amps. It's woefully inadequate to supply an HID light. You need at a minimum to mod the stator and add a rectifer/regulator.

• 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted January 21, 2010 - 03:03 PM

The oem headlight runs on AC and the DC circuit that charges the battery only puts out about 2 amps. It's woefully inadequate to supply an HID light. You need at a minimum to mod the stator and add a rectifer/regulator.

+1 :banghead:

• TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted January 21, 2010 - 05:18 PM

thanks for that guys.

so would you rewind the stater, or just buy a bigger one?? :banghead:

• KennyMc

Posted January 21, 2010 - 06:42 PM

thanks for that guys.

so would you rewind the stater, or just buy a bigger one?? :banghead:

Baja Designs has a great tutorial. Or for $30, they will do it for you. You will also need to buy a regulator/rectifier.

http://www.bajadesig... Stator Mod.pdf

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.