What Oil to Run - Synthetic or Regular?

49 replies to this topic
  • FinchFan194

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Gray I noticed the Golden Spectro is on the AMSOIL list but not the Platinum Spectro(full synthetic) do you know how if it is better than the Golden Spectro? At my local shop the Platinum Spectro is $3 less per quart than AMSOIL. What would you advise?

• grayracer513

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:55 PM

I'd advise you to sign up as a preferred customer and pay less for the Amsoil.

But, if you download the current version of the white paper, Spectro Platinum is in it.

• delmas

Posted January 27, 2010 - 07:42 AM

I don't know what oil you use, but by your posts, I'm going to guess Amsoil.

It really depends on what you consider "friction modifiers". The term isn't defined well in industry trade law. I am an Amsoil user, and preferred customer, and have been for quite some time. That does not change the fact that it contains high levels of zinc "anti-wear" compounds, and quite a bit of moly compounds for the same purpose. At one time, these were all considered friction reducers, and that is a fairly accurate description of one of the things a boundary lubricant accomplishes. But the oil does not contain these in concentrations regarded as high enough to qualify the oil as "energy conserving", so it isn't a "friction modified" oil, and they don't have to call it that. Besides, as was pointed out, no 40 wt will ever be rated EC II, anyway. This is one of those areas of the oil bidness where literal accuracy suffers a bit, unfortunately.

I'm sorry, too, but it's still ridiculous. The JASO standard, MA, and the later MA2, are oil standards that address primarily two issues: boundary lubrication and compatibility with wet clutches. Most contemporary motorcycle oils, including synthetics, are either certified MA/MA2, or labeled as meeting that standard, which specifically means that they are perfectly OK to use with clutch components made by Hinson or anyone else.

I use Honda oils in my crf 450
and I am a fan of Amsoil.Use it in my truck,and will use it in my yz as soon as i get it.

• highmarker

Posted January 27, 2010 - 07:44 AM

If your interested to see what oils are Jaso MA certified, here's where the list is found. http://www.jalos.or.jp/ on the left menu click the "jaso onfile" tab, then navigate through to the motorcycle list.

As you can see there are brands that submit for certification, other choose not too and simply state they meet or exceed the spec. (which may or may not) sometimes there is one portion of the test they wouldn't pass so will cite the standards they do pass by number. The consumer isn't complicated enough to know what the numbers mean so assume it's certified.

Just an FYI. Marketing is one thing, but misrepresenting a products ingredients or certifications, for example, is illegal. Two different concepts to keep in mind.

• twenty34

Posted February 02, 2010 - 08:09 AM

If your interested to see what oils are Jaso MA certified, here's where the list is found. http://www.jalos.or.jp/ on the left menu click the "jaso onfile" tab, then navigate through to the motorcycle list.

As you can see there are brands that submit for certification, other choose not too and simply state they meet or exceed the spec. (which may or may not) sometimes there is one portion of the test they wouldn't pass so will cite the standards they do pass by number. The consumer isn't complicated enough to know what the numbers mean so assume it's certified.

That's interesting...Thanks for pointing this out.

That's a pretty risky business proposition if you ask me. The consumer is being mislead and that ain't good. I hope they have the have some good legal counsel because a judge can request those products pulled from shelves real fast.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • highmarker

Posted February 02, 2010 - 06:46 PM

Amsoil plays that game. as do other specialty bottlers. In the car oils they claim api specs but don't submits for testing there either. Their XL line of oils have been cert. because commercial accounts have demanded it. the dirty little secret about the XL line, is it is not synthetic (it's group3) but they label it as so. Something they have criticized other company's for in their marketing.

• 642MX

Posted February 02, 2010 - 07:10 PM

Posted Image

• BBrown626

Posted February 05, 2010 - 08:05 PM

Rotella T is $10 a gallon at Sams Club or Walmart. Change it every couple hours.

• VFRCaptBob

Posted February 05, 2010 - 11:22 PM

I run what ever I feel like in my yz426 and 250f. As long as it's Yamalube. I just don't know any better.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted February 08, 2010 - 09:21 AM

ive been useing rotella in my bike and i have had no issues at all.. i change it a lot ( every 5 or so hours)..

bike runs great.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.