09 450f mods?

12 replies to this topic
  • mx369

Posted January 20, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Bought a new 09. Any thing I should do? I have a 06 for dooner parts. broke cases.

Been told to put stock 06 needle in carb.What size pilot should I use?
I have my 06 cams for it also.
Been told to use the stock 06 clamps for better turning. I plan to use the whole front end on it ( wheel and all , gold excell and Talon hub) and my shock also. It was just done for my weight and new springs 2 weeks ago. I may have to change stem but not sure. Dont know about rear wheel. Axle different size? I want my rear wheel also exceel and Tallon hub. I have a spare set of 06 wheels. That why I want to use the 06 wheel sets.

Are the handle bars the same bend?

• myoung

Posted January 20, 2010 - 12:26 PM

'09 stem is shorter, you might be able to put the 06 on though. I'm curious how this would work actually, I still need a stem for my RG3 lower. I don't want to separate my original and '08-'09 ones are hard to find cheap, '07 and earlier are pennies on the dollar on Ebay. If you try it, post up the results.

'09 clamp has adjustable bar position, don't know if there's a gain on offset with the '06 clamps.

'09 has an improved front fork you'd be missing out on, but I guess if you're happy enough with your '06 parts.....

Your front '06 wheel will work fine, but for the rear you'll need to contact a talon rep to see about getting a bearing and spacer kit for the larger '09 rear axle.

If the Talon spacers are stepped the same as the Eagle hubs, and you have access to a lathe or a machine shop that can help you, you can bore out the spacers to 25mm and then you're done.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2010 - 01:08 PM

• Been told to put stock 06 needle in carb.What size pilot should I use?
  • Been told to use the stock 06 clamps for better turning.
  • I plan to use the whole front end on it ( wheel and all , gold excell and Talon hub)
  • ...my shock also. It was just done for my weight and new springs 2 weeks ago.
  • I may have to change stem but not sure.
  • Dont know about rear wheel. Axle different size? I want my rear wheel also exceel and Tallon hub. I have a spare set of 06 wheels. That why I want to use the 06 wheel sets.
  • Are the handle bars the same bend?

• Visit http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=694918
  • There is no difference in the clamp offset. The '09 is a better choice, unless your current clamp set from the '06 is an aftermarket part
  • Using the '06 fork would be a step backward. The axle lug was altered on the '09, partly to improve cornering. Also, if you use the '06 fork, you will need the complete '06 front brake (caliper and master cylinder) unless the '06 fork has a major revalve done for you, I don't recommend it. The front wheel will fit the '09 if '09 spacers are used.
  • The rear suspension linkage ratios are slightly different after '08, and the shock internals improved. You'd be better off swapping the spring and adding initial rebound, IMO.
  • If you use the '06 clamps, the '06 stem will be about 5mm longer than necessary
  • The '09 rear wheel uses a 25mm axle vs. 22mm on the '06. You can buy the correct bearings and spacers for the Talon, but the OEM '06 rear will not fit. As I said already, the fronts need only the correct '09 spacers to work.
  • No.

• mx369

Posted January 20, 2010 - 05:15 PM

2. I have Ride Eng 23 thats why Im going to use stock 06 25 on the 09 which has a 27 like becuase of frame diffence.
3. I have all the 06 front stuff.My forks were just revalved and resprung for me.
4.Rear revalved and sprung for my weight.
5. I have the shorter stem and press to change it.
6. I have excell rims with Talon hubs. Spacers and bearings on order late today.
7. What bend are they? They do feel alot different. Im tall 6'2"

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2010 - 05:27 PM

The offset on both the '06 and '09 stock triples is 25. There is no frame difference as relates to steering geometry that amounts to more than 0.1 degree. Do what you want.

The YZF uses a proprietary bend. The bar rise was increased 7 or 8mm in '07, but either of them are too low.

• mx369

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:50 AM

I installed my 06 front end using the 09 stem. Fit perfectly.

Rear wheel from 06 fits using all 06 stuff. Axle,spacers AND 06 brake caliper. Only one problem, axle needs 2 washers behind axle nut which I had.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2010 - 08:59 AM

Really... And what did you use to address the fact that your '06 axle is 3mm too small for the swing arm?

• dvn

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:14 AM

Really... And what did you use to address the fact that your '06 axle is 3mm too small for the swing arm?

I knew that was coming!

• nwbikerider

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:47 AM

Rear wheel from 06 fits using all 06 stuff. Axle,spacers AND 06 brake caliper. Only one problem, axle needs 2 washers behind axle nut which I had.

I suggested this in another thread, but grayracer didn't agree. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=865764
I feel that the load of the axle is not placed on the top of the slots in the swingarm, but rather the blocks and the swingarm/spacer/bearing tube combo when tightened as one. Otherwise you'd see marks in the slot where the axle touches it. I'm no engineer, what do i know. But I have a good friend who is a structural engineer on the Boeing 787, I think I'll run it by him and see what he thinks.

• mx369

Posted January 24, 2010 - 06:12 PM

I agree with nwbikerider. I put my axle back in the 06 swingarm and there is alot of air gap. It doesnt fit snug in it. I think the load is on the axle blocks. i will ride soon and watch it.

• nwbikerider

Posted January 24, 2010 - 07:47 PM

So, I spoke to my engineer friend on the wheel deal, we looked at my bike (09 yz450) and discussed various possibilities. Long story short, he feels it would work just fine.
A snug fit between the axle and the swing arm would be ideal, but would make a very small, if noticeable, difference in support of the load. He suggested riding the bike with the smaller axle for a month or two, then disassemble and inspect for any suspicious wear.

• myoung

Posted January 25, 2010 - 10:59 AM

I agree with nwbikerider. I put my axle back in the 06 swingarm and there is alot of air gap. It doesnt fit snug in it. I think the load is on the axle blocks. i will ride soon and watch it.

Just thought I'd help shed some light on this axle load issue. The block does not carry any load against the swingarm vertically. It does carry some load horizontally, but that is stabilized by the axle resting up against the top of the swingarm slot. The block and swingarm both being aluminum would cause too much galling and metal deformation over time to rely on it to solely carry the load of harsh landings and constant pounding from rough terrain.

This is a pic of the original swingarm from my '00 426, it had about 300 hours on it when I changed it. You can see a small perpendicular rub mark on the surface of the axle slot where the axle was positioned, and marks on the contact area that the block was tightened up against. This clearly shows where the load was being carried. There is no sign of the top of the block carrying any load. If you notice, there is considerable wear where the block contacts the swingarm. If the top of the block was contacting the swingarm and carrying all the load the axle normally carries, the wear would be a lot worse.

Posted Image

If you're just a weekend warrior play rider on easy trails, I imagine it wont make a difference. If you race or ride hard and put a lot of time on your bikes, I would say you could get away with it for now but plan on fixing it properly asap. You said you ordered the parts, might as well use them.

• grayracer513

Posted January 25, 2010 - 11:32 AM

Some of you may have also missed what I think may actually be both a fairly simple, cheap, and structurally sound solution to this:

Make a pair of good steel sleeves that have a 22mm ID and a 25mm OD. The steel needs to be fairly high grade, since the wall thickness will only be 1.5mm (.059"). The length of the sleeve should be the .99 of thickness of the block plus the width of the axle slot in the swing arm.

Then take a pair of '06-'08 axle blocks and bore them to allow the sleeves to be press fit with just enough interference that they don't fall out every time you take the axle off the bike. That should increase the stability of the axle in the slot so that it won't scrub around and loosen, wearing the faces of the spacers and swing arm, and let the load be carried as it properly should be.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.