scotts stabilizer questions?

33 replies to this topic
  • tech24

Posted January 20, 2010 - 08:20 AM

im not getting much help in general so ill post this over here.

bike: 2004 yz450f

I am in the process of ordeing pro-circuit triple clamps and a scotts damper.

Has anyone used this combination on any of their bikes? Is there any fitment issues?

I also need to know bar position, does the pro-circuit lamps have more than one position? If so what is the most commonly used position?

Can I still use the rubber inserts or do I have to put in the solid ones?

Thanks for for you help!

• buzzgrizz

Posted January 20, 2010 - 08:50 AM

Call scotts and they will have your answers.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted January 20, 2010 - 08:52 AM

Call scotts and they will have your answers.

+1 They are gurus at that kind of stuff. We are a Scott's dealer, so we inface with them a lot on fitment issues of combinations like this and they are quite helpful.

• tech24

Posted January 20, 2010 - 08:54 AM

+1 They are gurus at that kind of stuff. We are a Scott's dealer, so we inface with them a lot on fitment issues of combinations like this and they are quite helpful.

I shot them an e-mail, we're busy at work and get bitched at for being on the phone. I'll try and call when I get caught up.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted January 20, 2010 - 08:56 AM

I shot them an e-mail, we're busy at work and get bitched at for being on the phone. I'll try and call when I get caught up.

They are not fast at email, just so you know. And they are open I believe until 7pm PST. Don't be surprised if it takes 2-3 days at least to get an email reply. They are phone guys in my experience.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2010 - 09:35 AM

I have a Scotts top mount damper on my '06. Before that, it was on my '03, and I'm convinced it saved my ass more than once on that bike. I will not ride without one anymore if it can be helped.

I don't know how the PC clamp is set up, and I certainly wouldn't know how you like your bars positioned. I see it as the wisest choice to get that part sorted out before buying your damper mount.

The reason they need to know the bar position is that the damper needs to be mounted so that the center line of the damper pivot shaft is centered over the steering stem. The part that is adjusted for differences here is the handlebar top clamp, which the damper itself bolts directly to. The distance from the bars back to the stem then becomes the question.

The good thing is that if you are using a standard damper on top mounting, and you do decide to relocate the bars either forward or back on the clamp, you need only order a replacement for the bar clamp. If you use a SUB mount, you can still do the same thing, but the damper mount in that case is the lower half of the bar mount, and is more expensive.

So, as I said, it would be prudent to hold off on the damper until you get the rest of the clamp/handlebar picture cleared up, then go from there. One thing certain, the damper is worth every cent.

• tech24

Posted January 20, 2010 - 09:43 AM

I have a Scotts top mount damper on my '06. Before that, it was on my '03, and I'm convinced it saved my ass more than once on that bike. I will not ride without one anymore if it can be helped.

I don't know how the PC clamp is set up, and I certainly wouldn't know how you like your bars positioned. I see it as the wisest choice to get that part sorted out before buying your damper mount.

The reason they need to know the bar position is that the damper needs to be mounted so that the center line of the damper pivot shaft is centered over the steering stem. The part that is adjusted for differences here is the handlebar top clamp, which the damper itself bolts directly to. The distance from the bars back to the stem then becomes the question.

The good thing is that if you are using a standard damper on top mounting, and you do decide to relocate the bars either forward or back on the clamp, you need only order a replacement for the bar clamp. If you use a SUB mount, you can still do the same thing, but the damper mount in that case is the lower half of the bar mount, and is more expensive.

So, as I said, it would be prudent to hold off on the damper until you get the rest of the clamp/handlebar picture cleared up, then go from there. One thing certain, the damper is worth every cent.

Thats the info I was looking for, thanks. I'm not sure how the bar position is setup on the pro-circuit I assume its reversable or something. I hope I can use the rubber mounts to help out my arms a bit. Hopefully I will get a hold of scotts here soon. My only concer is I would really have to hate to grind on a set of $600 triple clamps....I'll guess we'll see.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2010 - 09:54 AM

My only concer is I would really have to hate to grind on a set of $600 triple clamps....I'll guess we'll see.

I'm not sure why you're worried about that. There is absolutely no modification to the clamp ever required that I know of.

• tech24

Posted January 20, 2010 - 10:01 AM

I'm not sure why you're worried about that. There is absolutely no modification to the clamp ever required that I know of.

On the install instruction is says some top clamps need grinding for clearance. The only one it says for sure is the stock WR top clamp. I doubt I will have to.

• Aka.Goose

Posted January 20, 2010 - 11:59 AM

Not sure about the PC clamps, but the offset Applied rubber mount clamps fit absolutely perfect with the Scotts sub-mount...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DeeCee

Posted January 20, 2010 - 06:10 PM

Check out brp triple clamps on www.brpmoto.com

I have just fitted a set of their clamps to my YZ400F and found them very responsive to email queries. Also their clamps are excellent quality.

• tech24

Posted January 21, 2010 - 04:50 AM

They emailed me back and gave me a measurement instruction shit to find the correct bar clamp. So I guess its time to figure out what tripple clamps I want for sure and fork out the money.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 09:44 AM

There again, get the clamps on the bike and really get settled with the bar position before ordering your damper.

• tech24

Posted January 21, 2010 - 10:27 AM

There again, get the clamps on the bike and really get settled with the bar position before ordering your damper.

Yeah thats the plan, I should have them tuesday but the bikes in pieces. However looking at the pictue of the clamps there is only 1 position.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 10:32 AM

...looking at the pictue of the clamps there is only 1 position.

A lot of times, even when there is a single set of holes in the top clamp, the bar clamps are offset, so that reversing them moves the bar position 10-15mm.

• tech24

Posted January 21, 2010 - 10:34 AM

A lot of times, even when there is a single set of holes in the top clamp, the bar clamps are offset, so that reversing them moves the bar position 10-15mm.

Ok thanks, I thought they worked something like that.

• tech24

Posted January 21, 2010 - 10:46 AM

what part needs replaced if I decide to change bar position? I assume 31. I might just get so I have it.

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 11:06 AM

Nope, no part of the actual stabilizer is changed. The adjustment for differing handlebar offsets relative to the stem is made by changing the handle bar clamp (assuming a standard mount):

Posted Image

The two small holes between the four bar clamping holes are what the damper bolts to. The off set of these two holes relative to the main four is what gets changed. The part is available by itself, so that you can change things later if you like, but it's $65.

• tech24

Posted January 21, 2010 - 11:17 AM

gotcha, damn I'd really like file down my weld on the frame and check the fitment before I have it powdercoated guess I'll have to spend the extra dough if thats the case.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 11:35 AM

gotcha, damn I'd really like file down my weld on the frame and check the fitment before I have it powdercoated guess I'll have to spend the extra dough if thats the case.

OK. I see what your predicament is now.

If it was me, and there were two bar positions available on the clamp, I'd order the kit to fit the farthest forward one. I think you'll be OK with that, and then you can fit the damper pin mount to your frame before you coat it, as planned.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.