2010 reliability

50 replies to this topic
  • ProMed

Posted February 02, 2010 - 02:46 PM

No, the use of laptops are not a good thing.

1st. Laptop, not everyone has one (I do, but who wants to carry that along to the track and get dirty possibly) It's bigger and more expensive to carry along, cost more to replcae if it hits the dirt at the track as well.

2nd. Cost. The software and cables cost just as much as the GYTR tuner. (in canada I got my GYTR tuner for free with the bike!) The MXA article states the Kawi kit is $515, thats a lot more than $280 for the gytr tuner that is much simpler.

3rd. Time. The honda and kawi systems need plastic removed and a friggen work bench to program them FI systems. Need a laptop, cables, separate 12v battery to charge the system. The yamaha tuner needs two aa batterys and a plastic clip removed by the head tube and you're on your way. The rider with a yamaha could be be programmed and on his bike before the guy on his kawi or honda has his laptop booted up LOL.

Sure, your "telnet/console" method seems great, but its not out yet and yamaha has everyone covered in their way in tuning the bikes in 2010. Hopefully the other brands take note and make a similar tuning system for them bikes soon enough. But if they dont it wont bug me as I'll have the advantage/bragging rights to an easier/simpler system.

Read this MXA article on how to reprogram the crf450, pretty long process. The simplicity of the yamaha system blows it away.
http://www.motocross...A02428A80079478

Kawi as well, even longer.

http://www.motocross...85C3D2A3968939B

I disagree, in my opinion the use of a laptop is a very good thing. However, it probably wouldn't be for anyone that is interested in the most basic adjustments you can get by with.

The KX tuner is head and heels more advanced than the YZ tuner, and that is before you even consider the data logging mode it offers. For anyone that has any experience using a Power Commander or similar devices on their street bikes, they would probably consider the YZ tuner very rudimentary. Which may not be a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

I am hoping that before I make my purchase that someone will be selling a more advanced tuning system for the YZ. I am sure most of the top teams are not using the basic factory tuner.

YZ Tuner:
Posted Image

KX Tuner:
Posted Image

• tunefx

Posted February 02, 2010 - 08:53 PM

This is beginning to sound like a PC vs. Mac commercial!! :ride:

For what it's worth...

At the Budd's Creek launch week they were using the standard issue GYTR programmer.

I get the PowerCommander desire. However, I enjoy the fact that I can stop by the truck and change the map in a few minutes (more like seconds).

However, I would have to agree that it should come with software that can be used on a PC after dumping the data to a USB drive or some kind of memory card. Other than that, I would like to be able to add a label and notes to each map while in the field.

Mac or PC?

• pj 351

Posted February 02, 2010 - 09:27 PM

I disagree, in my opinion the use of a laptop is a very good thing. However, it probably wouldn't be for anyone that is interested in the most basic adjustments you can get by with.

The KX tuner is head and heels more advanced than the YZ tuner, and that is before you even consider the data logging mode it offers. For anyone that has any experience using a Power Commander or similar devices on their street bikes, they would probably consider the YZ tuner very rudimentary. Which may not be a bad thing, depending on your perspective.

I am hoping that before I make my purchase that someone will be selling a more advanced tuning system for the YZ. I am sure most of the top teams are not using the basic factory tuner.

YZ Tuner:
Posted Image

KX Tuner:
Posted Image

The Kawi system is top notch for sure, a racers best mate :ride: Most guy's over here are looking for a good map for the Yammies, race teams and tuners are not in the habbit of handing them out, it takes time to get them :lol:

• Davey762

Posted February 03, 2010 - 05:28 AM

YZ Tuner:
Posted Image

KX Tuner:
Posted Image

I will admit, more advanced yes... but is more advanced always better? Not really, especially for the average user.

The simplicity in doing quick, noticable changes to the bike in mere seconds is priceless and is better for probably 90% of the riders out there. The other 10% would like the extra functionality of the more advanced tuners, but who wants to be booting up those laptops, removing plastic and reading diagrams at the track!? I sure dont... but some people I'm sure do, but a small percentage.

Yoshimura sells a tuner for other bikes and they are supposed to also sell one for yamaha soon. Their system also uses an 02 sensor for self mapping.

I've noticed on the L&M bikes they have a port for an 02 sensor hook up on their akro pipes so they must be using an o2 sensor for data acquisition.

• ProMed

Posted February 03, 2010 - 11:25 AM

I will admit, more advanced yes... but is more advanced always better? Not really, especially for the average user.

Kind of like comparing the $2k cheaper 09 YZ with the 2010 YZ huh?

:ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted February 03, 2010 - 01:46 PM

:lol:

• grayracer513

Posted February 03, 2010 - 01:48 PM

Not really. :ride:

• dvn

Posted February 03, 2010 - 02:03 PM

:lol:

Over 3K difference for me.:ride:

• Davey762

Posted February 04, 2010 - 06:27 AM

Not really. The new bike is better and if you have the money and want to spend it on something that always runs right (EFI) compared to a carb bike, why not?

Regardless, our opinions likely won't change no matter what lol so we can end the debate now. I just wanna ride and it's friggen winter here, have snowmobiles to pass the time but I can't wait to get my 2010 YZ and ride it this spring!

• ProMed

Posted February 04, 2010 - 10:01 AM

Not really. The new bike is better and if you have the money and want to spend it on something that always runs right (EFI) compared to a carb bike, why not?

If it always ran right, you wouldn't need the tuner! lol.

Anyway, as I previously mentioned we agree the YZ tuner is fine for most people. It has few enough adjustments that it would be hard for most people to screw it up. It would be nice though in the future to have the option of at least the same amount of tuning power available on the other bikes, if not more. I would love to be able to be able to run a data logger as well.

• APlusAutoParts

Posted February 05, 2010 - 03:27 AM

I agree Davey762 but in Long Island NY where i live a snowmobile is about the biggest waste of $12,000 you can think of out here. Did anyone take notice to the ground hog, is summer near? lol

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.