06 yz450f...... I Lost compression stroke

2 replies to this topic
  • butek

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:57 PM

I feel no compression stroke while trying to kick start my bike.

Let me explain. My last ride was during a hare scramble in Oct of 09.
The bike ran fine aside from the fact that it started very hard while cold. I didn't have any problems with it all day before washing and storing it for the winter. Last week I ordered a new set of ice tires hoping to hit the ice on Sun.17th before this happened.

When starting a bike I always slowly apply pressure on the kick starter to move the piston up and down a few times "without trying to start it" , as if priming the motor before really jumping on it.

This time while slowly moving the kick starter down with my foot, I felt an obvious compression stroke. After 3 more slow and controlled kicks "only applying little pressure on the kick starter", I felt what I assume was the power stroke, the exhaust stroke, and the intake stroke without ever feeling a compression stroke again after that.

Is a valve stuck open, closed, carboned?
Is it the Auto decompression valve?
Is a Shim cocked in place a little?

All opinions welcome, please help!

Thank you.

Edited by butek, January 19, 2010 - 08:16 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bill97gtp

Posted January 19, 2010 - 08:38 PM

I would check valve clearances if compression seems low.which you would feel on compression stroke naturally.plus it's a good baseline start to check off what it's not.

• grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2010 - 09:41 PM

]
Is a valve stuck open, closed, carboned? [COLOR="Blue"]Possibly[/COLOR]
Is it the Auto decompression valve? [COLOR="Blue"]No[/COLOR]
Is a Shim cocked in place a little? [COLOR="Blue"]No[/COLOR]

It could also simply be that your valve clearance is low.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.