Bedliner on plastics??

31 replies to this topic
  • mitchn06

Posted January 19, 2010 - 06:58 PM

Has anybody ever tried putting black bedliner on their plastics?

• 97kx125

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:02 PM

i thought about that before. think i saw a pic of it on google? if anyone has done it here post some pics

• ThumpNRed

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:13 PM

A guy here in town coated his crotch rocket in rhino liner... looked like :bonk:... jmho :banghead:

• Bibleman

Posted January 19, 2010 - 07:53 PM

I did my sidecovers and stock brush guards. T:thumbsup:hey look great and are holding up nicely. I prepped the plastic first, used Krylon Fusion as the "primer" and then used a SPRAY on bed liner. It has a nice fine textured finish that has really nice look to it.

• jaredc28

Posted January 20, 2010 - 07:23 PM

pics?

• MXJunky

Posted January 20, 2010 - 08:38 PM

Sounds like a great way to add useless weight to an already heavy sickle.

• RipperFox

Posted January 20, 2010 - 11:27 PM

Gatorhyde. We got it here in OK, but dont know how far east and west it goes.

Did the underbelly of my sportbike, and my ATV. Looks awesome, tough as nails. Has a texture like orange peel. Friend at work did his whole Toyota truck rather that get it painted. This stuff is the shiz.

• mitchn06

Posted January 21, 2010 - 05:56 AM

Gatorhyde. We got it here in OK, but dont know how far east and west it goes.

Did the underbelly of my sportbike, and my ATV. Looks awesome, tough as nails. Has a texture like orange peel. Friend at work did his whole Toyota truck rather that get it painted. This stuff is the shiz.

i thought about doing it to my rocker panels, as they are getting chipped up and rusty, just thought it would be a quick cosmetic fix.

I don't think that the added weight will be an issue for me.

• bajabinder

Posted January 22, 2010 - 12:17 PM

Which brand of bedliner? There's a few....Also, why on the plastics? Trying to reduce the glare off the front fender at night, or trying to change the color of all the plastics?

I've been thinking of trying it on my frame rails above the pegs for extra grip (I hold the bike a lot with my legs), and to protect that area.

• mitchn06

Posted January 22, 2010 - 08:54 PM

Which brand of bedliner? There's a few....Also, why on the plastics? Trying to reduce the glare off the front fender at night, or trying to change the color of all the plastics?

I've been thinking of trying it on my frame rails above the pegs for extra grip (I hold the bike a lot with my legs), and to protect that area.

yeah just to change the color. havn't done any research on any brands. it was just kinda a random thought.

• Coolidge

Posted January 23, 2010 - 06:42 AM

Dont do it. Bedliner, and paint (Yes, even Krylon Fusion) on plastic (esp a dirt bike!) eventually WILL PEEL.
Trust me, 30+ years in Auto Body. I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesnt. Painting dirtbike plastic doesnt work
It may work for the anti-glare coating for fender tops, or frame rails, but I def would not do any bike plastics 'complete'. Its like asking, "can you paint chrome"? Oh, sure you COULD physically do it. Will it last? No

Edited by Coolidge, January 23, 2010 - 06:59 AM.

• mitchn06

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:03 AM

Dont do it. Bedliner, and paint (Yes, even Krylon Fusion) on plastic (esp a dirt bike!) eventually WILL PEEL.
Trust me, 30+ years in Auto Body. I have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesnt. Painting dirtbike plastic doesnt work
It may work for the anti-glare coating for fender tops, or frame rails, but I def would not do any bike plastics 'complete'. Its like asking, "can you paint chrome"? Oh, sure you COULD physically do it. Will it last? No

some damage is done, i already did the Krylon Fusion last year and it is really easy to touch up! Even easier if i don't crash! hehe but that aint gonna happen. i just figured that the bedliner compound would hold up to the abuse better than a thin layer of paint since it is thicker and engineered to be abused, but not flexed.

• ThumpNRed

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:46 AM

some damage is done, i already did the Krylon Fusion last year and it is really easy to touch up! Even easier if i don't crash! hehe but that aint gonna happen. i just figured that the bedliner compound would hold up to the abuse better than a thin layer of paint since it is thicker and engineered to be abused, but not flexed.

If the bedliner doesn't flex, what will happen when the plastic part does flex? Seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Bedliner professionally applied to a frame is an intersesting idea though...:banghead:

• mitchn06

Posted January 23, 2010 - 10:54 AM

well, is paint supposed to really flex either?? probably not, but my paint job (Krylon Fusion) has held up to the flexing, just not the scraping on dirt. i'll be willing to bet that it would be just fine since under normal riding conditions assuming i don't wipe out real bad that there is little to no flexing to the stationary plastic side panels. IDK?!?!

• Old Dog

Posted January 23, 2010 - 02:37 PM

I knew a guy that did his plastics with some sort of flexible rubber like coating (can't remember the name of it, but it's meant to be used on tool handles as a rubber grip coating ... ) and they held up good to flexing and looked pretty good too, they even had a glossy finish. :banghead:

• hawncase

Posted January 23, 2010 - 02:42 PM

I'd like to see some pics of any of these "great" looking painted plastic jobs after they're 6 or more months old and actually used. I've seen some painted plastics that looked good freshly painted...but every time I see actually used painted plastics in person...they invariably look like crap.

Sorry but it's true.

• phuzz

Posted January 23, 2010 - 02:59 PM

Some bedliners stay flexible, and are also repairable if scratched or delaminated.

I've seen people use bedliner on plastic fender flares like on Jeeps, and they flex and rub against trees, etc., without cracking or peeling.

Why not try it, especially if you have a second set of plastics.

• RipperFox

Posted January 25, 2010 - 01:34 PM

Dont do it. Bedliner, and ...Will it last? No

I trust your experience with the paint etc. BUT this Gatorhyde stuff is different. I did the 4wheeler plastics, and this shit DONT COME OFF. You have to tear the plastics apart just to get it to try and come apart. And then the plastic breaks apart before the Hyde comes off.

This stuff I HAVE FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with, and it is the toughest shit I have everseen. Rhino lined the plastic tool box..Not as good...cracked and pealed. Crap actually.

Gatorhyde plactic bike parts. Beat it with a chipping hammer and couldnt break it loose.

Did a try run on an old fender I gave the shop to see how it will do. He shot it for free and let me beat the shit out of it in his shop...SOLD.

• 97kx125

Posted January 25, 2010 - 03:25 PM

if your plastics arent in good shape and look like crap then why not try it? easier to try that than waste money on new plastics. just go for it

• mitchn06

Posted January 25, 2010 - 03:27 PM

if your plastics arent in good shape and look like crap then why not try it? easier to try that than waste money on new plastics. just go for it

kinda what i was thinking. i already painted them black, so there's no going back to white now! and all i gots to do to make them look nice again is shoot them again.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Questions for XR650R rebuild by TJEP

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is this rod shot? 87 xr600r refresh by goneballistic

• Hot  136 replies
Wiki
Complete Guide To Installing FCR MX on a XR600 - last post by jtf1307tie

Complete Guide To Installing FCR MX on a XR600

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

FMF Powerbomb vs HiFlo Headers by jevon.pearse

• 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Questions for XR650R rebuild by TJEP

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.