Funky oil drain threads

4 replies to this topic
  • i_wheelie_longer

Posted January 19, 2010 - 04:07 PM

I was changing the oil on my 06 yz450 the other night and when I was removing the bottom drain bolt (the one by the right footpeg), the bolt felt kind of notchy coming out. Almost as if the threads were buggered up a little, if you know what I mean. I change the oil EVERY ride with full synthetic oil and replace the oil filter every 3 rides, so I'm pretty confident that i dont have a ton of metal/debris/clutch fibers floating around my oil causing the weird feeling oil drain hole threads. My question is, does this sound like my oil drain hole threads are on the verge of stripping out?? How can I prevent that from happening? I know this sounds crazy, but would it help to change my oil less frequently, to prevent any further damage to the threads (if it is damage at all)?

Thanks

• 2stroke13

Posted January 20, 2010 - 04:56 PM

Hey, I also have an 06 with the exact same issue, you must change your oil like a fanatic, thats my problem. Yes the threads are pulling,you may want to look carefully and determine if there is a significant amount of the threads left on the inside of the crankcase, you may be able to see them, if there are, you can use a set of hemo's to get the rest out. I believe that the perfect solution would be to drill and tap a larger hole or utilize a helicoil. What I do for the moment is utilize some Yamabond and not overtighten the fastner upon re installation, not perfect fix but it has been working just fine, must properly degrease drain bolt and crankcase prior to installation though.

Best of luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tek_01

Posted January 20, 2010 - 05:32 PM

Use a timesert instead of a helicoil if you decide to repair it

• nickeenoo

Posted January 20, 2010 - 05:47 PM

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

• Ga426owner

Posted January 20, 2010 - 06:01 PM

Use a timesert instead of a helicoil if you decide to repair it

amen to that, the Timesert is much better and even better yet the problem will go away forever....the drain passage hole that causes all this in the first place will be covered up....wa la :banghead:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.