Idle with gas off before loading up???

35 replies to this topic
  • ReedRulz

Posted January 21, 2010 - 09:40 PM

Too late. The Earth's orbit is already deteriorating. It's just a question of whether the Sun will exhaust itself enough to expand and engulf the planet before it crashes into it. Meantime, we have about 6-9 billion years during which we have to put up with your gasoline in the aquifers, so take it easy. :banghead:

You shouldn't post things like that, your freaking me out.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 10:04 PM

I'm not kidding. I thought you should know. However, the orbital decay of the Earth is likely to take place so slowly that its ultimate demise will much more probably come at the hands of the expanding Sun than as a solar meteorite.

If that makes you feel better.

• devo1

Posted January 22, 2010 - 05:41 PM

I emlty the bowls so gas doesn't leak into our enclosed trailer & stink it up

Bingo! We have a winner!:banghead:

A good idea for motovans too.

• schrode

Posted January 22, 2010 - 05:55 PM

just a thought, doesn't running the bike out of gas every time repeatedly create a lean condition leading, perhaps, to needing a fresh topend sooner than if you just leaned the bike over. personally i just shut my fuel off at the end of the ride. before startup i tip it over with the fuel on and let a little fresh run into the bowl

• grayracer513

Posted January 22, 2010 - 08:05 PM

just a thought, doesn't running the bike out of gas every time repeatedly create a lean condition leading, perhaps, to needing a fresh topend sooner ....

...No.

• Aka.Goose

Posted January 22, 2010 - 08:19 PM

So no ill effects from letting it stall out from no gas? Would that be a different answer for FI bikes?

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2010 - 08:53 AM

Would that be a different answer for FI bikes?

No, but EFI systems have no float bowl, so what would be the point?

• Slick_Nick

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:26 AM

I thought if you drained the bowl completely the seals and stuff can dry out? It needs a coating of the oil and fucl to keep everything from drying out.

Thoughts on this?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dogfish

Posted January 23, 2010 - 09:35 AM

Before storage for more than a month or when I have serious wrenching to do, I just drain the bowl into a cup and pour it back into the gas tank or a gas can. Letting it drain to the ground is moronic to say the least.

• FinchFan194

Posted January 23, 2010 - 11:42 AM

Do the FI bikes even have a on/off valve on the tank?

• Aka.Goose

Posted January 23, 2010 - 12:11 PM

:excuseme:was thinking just to clear out all the lines...

Do the FI bikes even have a on/off valve on the tank?

Nope...Alright I guess you got me there...

• grayracer513

Posted January 23, 2010 - 07:25 PM

I thought if you drained the bowl completely the seals and stuff can dry out? It needs a coating of the oil and fucl to keep everything from drying out.

Thoughts on this?

First, of course, is that there is no oil in the fuel on a four-stroke. The truth about seals drying out is this:

When many of the different rubber compounds used in carb seals are exposed to fuel in a long term scenario, such as weeks on end of being immersed in fuel, certain components of the fuel will soak into the rubber, often swelling it very slightly. If this goes on for a while, these fuel chemicals can dissolve and replace some of the components of the rubber compound. Then. if the fuel is taken away for a significant length of time, the fuel evaporates out of the rubber, and it shrinks or dries out and cracks, or both.

The way to avoid this is to start with all brand new parts and never store it, even from one day to the next, with gas in it. That will prevent the fuel from being absorbed by the rubber in the first place, so that it cannot then dry out of it.

Alternatively, keep it wet with fresh fuel.

Not sure how this will play out with an EFI unit, but I don't think it will be a problem. Might ask some of the guys in the sport bike forums who live in the northern states if they've had trouble as a result of storing them.

• nchez11

Posted January 24, 2010 - 08:03 AM

Guys, don't piss your neighbors off (even and especially if they're tree huggers). We don't need them to get a wild hair to fight against riding areas just because they judge the whole community to be their enemies. I can't stand the fun police but I don't try to tick them off. "for every action, there's a reaction".

• Slick_Nick

Posted January 24, 2010 - 09:54 AM

Not sure how that's relavent to this thread, but okay........

• MoTo xXx RaCeR 522

Posted January 24, 2010 - 12:38 PM

It only helps if you don't ride much (as gray said) because it gets all the fuel out of the carb and is supposed to help keep the carb from gumming up. It can make it a real biotch to restart though, as it takes a while to get fuel back into all the right places.

It really doesn't matter how much you ride or what you ride..2 stroke or 4 stroke. I always run the fuel out of the carb. By doing this it not only runs the fuel out of the carb and keeps it from gumming up it also burns all unecessary fuel in the engine. As far as starting it there should be no issue at all. To start I first off I "puke" my bike by turning the fuel petcock on and leaning the bike till fuel runs from the carb over flow tubes once fuel is extracted which is almost immediate, stand the bike upright. By doing this you are sure that fresh fuel is in the bowl, primed and ready to start. Mine starts immediately on the second kick.

• 642MX

Posted January 24, 2010 - 04:06 PM

Not sure how this will play out with an EFI unit, but I don't think it will be a problem. Might ask some of the guys in the sport bike forums who live in the northern states if they've had trouble as a result of storing them.

I don't think it will be an issue... my Dad has a GL1800 that he rides 2 or 3 times a year. Its an 02 model and never had the fuel drained or even stabil put in the tank. It always fires right up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.