1999 wr400f.

5 replies to this topic
  • bush_rider

Posted January 19, 2010 - 04:32 AM

One of my mates has a 1999 wr400f. I have been putting the indicators and that back on for him, but they just don't seem to be working. I did all of this without a wiring diagram, so i just plugged stuff in and hoped it worked. Does anyone have an ADR wiring diagram or something that they could send me or something. Also the bike seems to have a lot of compression. Its kick start only, and i can't get a good enough kick to get it to fire. Is this normal for this bike, or is it something to be concerned about.

Thanks for any help.

• mrlopez

Posted January 19, 2010 - 09:55 AM

Are u useing the decompresion lever theirs a procedure to make start easy,and for the electrical issue I think the 98, 99 they don't put enough wattage to light anything else

• bush_rider

Posted January 19, 2010 - 09:12 PM

It doesn't fire when using the de-compression lever, but if someone can get a good kick from top dead centre it usually goes first kick. I just can't get enough of a kick to get it to fire from there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jakes123

Posted January 20, 2010 - 01:14 AM

It doesn't fire when using the de-compression lever, but if someone can get a good kick from top dead centre it usually goes first kick. I just can't get enough of a kick to get it to fire from there.

Had the same problem, bought a 1999 model and did not know how to start the animal. Had a buddy come over, works at a racing shop, and he did the following:

open fuel tap

put the bike on it's side and drained some fuel

pull cold start choke

we ran with the bike in 5th gear and popped the clutch, bike backfired

then got on the bike, pushed the kickstart down untill hard compression

pull the de-comp lever, and push kickstart further down 1-2 inches

release de-comp lever (with kickstart still in 1-2" position) and kicked the bike like you mean it. DO NOT TWIST THE TROTTLE AT ANY POINT.

Bike started with 1st kick. No problem since, hot or cold start.

This is a real newbie explanation, but it's the best I can describe it. And yes, I am a newbie at 4-stroke kick-start. Hope you come right.

• bush_rider

Posted January 20, 2010 - 02:44 AM

Thanks for the input. Is there any way to get some more power through the electrical system. The bike is going in for a road worthy in a couple of months and it still needs a bit of work done to it.The indicators are a must.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2010 - 10:15 AM

Regarding the starting process, watch:

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.