Stripped Leak Jet....Damn

5 replies to this topic
  • jpfire

Posted January 18, 2010 - 06:20 PM

Well, I am cleaning up the bike,('05 WR450) pretty much stripped down, going to grease it all up....pulled off the carb to clean it up, remembered that going from a stock #50 leak jet to a #40 will possibly help with the bog issue........well when I went to remove the leak jet from the bottom of the carb it stripped beyond the ability to get it out.:ride: (pretty soft metal)

Advise needed. Can I drill the whole thing out then possibly run one of those new Quickshot 3 that has the "dial up leak jetting" ? Or will I destroy it beyond repair and need to find another carb bottom or (please no) :bonk: have to get a whole new carb?

Any advise would be appreciated. :banghead:

PS. Did a search but found nothing....maybe I'm the first goob to do this?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 18, 2010 - 06:42 PM

I'd put on a R&D power bowl which has the adj Leak included.

• William1

Posted January 19, 2010 - 03:10 AM

Drill the leak jet just a little, just enough to tap a torx driver into the jet. Replacement float bowl is a lot of money to spend to resolve. I'd only consider it as a last resort. If I have to buy a float bowl for a steel framed bike, I'd buy an oem used one. Leak jets on these bikes are easy to do with the carb still on the bike. Sve the $100 to $200 for something really worthwhile.

Most of the add on AP cover/adjustable leak jets require you to plug the existing leak jet (usually with a small Allen set screw) so a ALJ cover would require you to plug it with solder, not easy when the entire bowl acts like a heat siink. So if you want the bling of an ALJ on your '05, the entire R&D bowl may be what you need. But I'd try to get the existing one out first and save the green.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lcpl0331

Posted March 25, 2011 - 04:59 PM

Where can I buy a leak jet? I did the exact same thing but have already drilled out the jet. Problem for me is where to actually buy just the jet. Bike bandit had no clue what I was talking about and rocky mt. sent me a pilot jet.

• William1

Posted March 26, 2011 - 01:51 AM

Take a look at the online parts fiche or visit your local dealer (or any dirt bike dealer) as nealry all mx bikes use the same FCR.

• Lcpl0331

Posted March 26, 2011 - 04:25 AM

thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.