06 WR450F factory speedometer

25 replies to this topic
  • swolf

Posted January 17, 2010 - 11:20 PM

its way off, it reads 30 when I'm going 40. is there anything i can adjust or do to fix it? tires are stock. not finding anything even with a google search.
Thanks

• coxr650l

Posted January 18, 2010 - 04:48 AM

Not sure if it will help, but on my 09 there is a setting that allows you to compensate for tire diamater. If the 06 has that function look and make sure it has not changed for some reason from the stock setting. Just a thought.....

• swolf

Posted January 18, 2010 - 07:49 AM

Not sure if it will help, but on my 09 there is a setting that allows you to compensate for tire diamater. If the 06 has that function look and make sure it has not changed for some reason from the stock setting. Just a thought.....

I looked and can't find anything in the 06 and 09 book. how do you do that? do you have the stock speedometer? thanks

• coxr650l

Posted January 18, 2010 - 08:07 AM

Ya mine is the stock unit, here is the link for an online owners guide, http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php.

Good luck

• swolf

Posted January 18, 2010 - 12:19 PM

Ya mine is the stock unit, here is the link for an online owners guide, http://www.yamahaown...om.au/index.php.

Good luck

I must be blind... the wr250x has a different meter than the 450f. ill look more tonight and read more. is it simple? i can change the odometer. does that change the speedo?

• coxr650l

Posted January 18, 2010 - 01:05 PM

On my 09' 450 with the stock unit there is some combination of holding trip 1 and 2 down. I dont remember how and cant find my manuel, so I cant say for sure. It is similar to how you change between race and normal mode, just a slighly different combination of buttons. Maybe someone else knows how to do it???

• KennyMc

Posted January 18, 2010 - 02:25 PM

Usually this is an issue between miles per hour and kilometers per hour. The problem is if it was switched to KPH it would read 40 but you would be only going 30. Something to check anyway.

• swolf

Posted January 18, 2010 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, i started messing with it pushing buttons and the speed started blinking, pushed the buttons more and got it to say 9mph. rode it and now 30 feels like 30. need to check it with gps and see. I dont know how i did it i think it was in race mode. ill let you know what i did when i mess with it again.

• gjantz

Posted January 24, 2010 - 05:37 PM

I may have went to the wrong section for this question. I have a service manual, but not a owner's manual for my 2004 Yamaha WR450F. What RPM? and what are the functions of the speedometer display, and how do I get a copy of the Owner manual?

• swolf

Posted January 24, 2010 - 07:18 PM

I may have went to the wrong section for this question. I have a service manual, but not a owner's manual for my 2004 Yamaha WR450F. What RPM? and what are the functions of the speedometer display, and how do I get a copy of the Owner manual?

on my 06 WR450F the owners manual is in the beginning of the service manual. I found links on here that had free pdf books to look at. an owners manual might be dealer only. if you have a digital speedo on an 04 with rpm its probably aftermarket search the name on the face like trail tech or somthing for that manual. Im new to the WR so i hope I helped. and hey welcome another colorado rider. when will the snow melt off the trails?

SW

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:18 PM

I would also like to know how to do this. I remember reading about it in my manual a while ago, but now I can't find my manual for the life of me. I looked through the PDF manual linked in the sticky and couldnt find anything about it. If someone could check their manual and post up the button steps I would really appreciate it.

• cherrypicker7

Posted January 25, 2010 - 12:43 PM

I don't know if you have to same speedo on the 06 WR450 as I have on my 07WR250. It is called a multi-function display. It has a race mode and a basic mode, reads digitally in either kph or mph, functions as either a speedo or odo/time keeper. To calibrate the device you have to go through a process described in section 1 part 15. You should be able to pull this up on a yamaha parts microfiche available just about anywhere online. If this isn't a stock Yamaha unit, don't know what to tell you. I have a KDX where I installed a Trail Tech unit and I like it very much. If you are still having problems I'd suggest you pick up one of these units, as they are very user friendly. Good Luck

• woods-rider

Posted January 25, 2010 - 02:50 PM

This is the page you mentioned above and I don't see anything about calibrating the speedo or odometer.
Posted Image

• woods-rider

Posted January 26, 2010 - 12:22 PM

Can someone check the manual that came with their bike and see if it says anything about calibrating the speedo for us?

• jayh300

Posted January 26, 2010 - 12:26 PM

can do tonight....

• swolf

Posted January 26, 2010 - 03:39 PM

manual still on order. i did it from race mode in the area of trip meter calibration. i need to mess with it more and take notes. I was drinking beer and pushing buttons when i did mine.

• jayh300

Posted January 26, 2010 - 04:52 PM

page 1 17...
press slct1 and rst for 2 seconds..... the display should read 100 for standard tire at 700mm
press slct1 to add
press slct 2 for minus

then hold slct1 and rst for 2 seconds to store...

and i lookd online tonight on the yamaha manual and that part about calibrate is not in there.....
but... 100% is 700mm and the range will go 65% to 115%

Edited by jhendr3702, January 26, 2010 - 05:45 PM.

• emtrvt

Posted January 26, 2010 - 05:27 PM

The '06 came with the digital speed-o. You need to get the service manual and figure out the way to change your tire size. I know it is in there because I remember seeing it.

I understand that you are still running stock... but with you riding it you are wearing down the tread thus changing the tire size in result affecting what your speed-o reads.

To get the most accurate reading on your seepd-o you need to have an accurate tire size. It is somewhat of a process. And it works best if you can roll the tire and (very) accurately messure the distance. When you have that number (needs to be metric to be most accurate). Then you take that number and plug it into a formula. Don't remember it right now. Have it written down at home.

You will need to update this often. Or you can do what I did. Lose the speed-o and just twist the trottle. If I want to know how fast I am going I have your friend with a gps tell me how fast he was going when I passed him.

• KennyMc

Posted January 26, 2010 - 09:51 PM

The '06 came with the digital speed-o. You need to get the service manual and figure out the way to change your tire size. I know it is in there because I remember seeing it.

I understand that you are still running stock... but with you riding it you are wearing down the tread thus changing the tire size in result affecting what your speed-o reads.

To get the most accurate reading on your seepd-o you need to have an accurate tire size. It is somewhat of a process. And it works best if you can roll the tire and (very) accurately messure the distance. When you have that number (needs to be metric to be most accurate). Then you take that number and plug it into a formula. Don't remember it right now. Have it written down at home.
You will need to update this often. Or you can do what I did. Lose the speed-o and just twist the trottle. If I want to know how fast I am going I have your friend with a gps tell me how fast he was going when I passed him.

The manual says it's new diameter / old diameter x 100 = new value

If new diameter is 709MM then:

709mm / 700mm x 100 = 101.3% One would then do the SLCT1 and RST as noted above to get to the part where you would enter the 101:3 as the new value.

• woods-rider

Posted January 27, 2010 - 11:47 AM

page 1 17...
press slct1 and rst for 2 seconds..... the display should read 100 for standard tire at 700mm
press slct1 to add
press slct 2 for minus

then hold slct1 and rst for 2 seconds to store...

and i lookd online tonight on the yamaha manual and that part about calibrate is not in there.....
but... 100% is 700mm and the range will go 65% to 115%

Thanks a ton, this is exactly what I needed!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.