03 starter gear upgrade question

3 replies to this topic
  • SoCA_DRZ

Posted January 17, 2010 - 09:31 PM

I have been reading a ton of posts on here about the 03 starter gear upgrade, but have one question. I read an article that referred to an upgrade performed by the dealer, but it didn't detail what was done. They said you would know the upgrade was done on the bike because the dealer would put a punch mark above the VIN. My bike has this punch mark, but the starter gear cover is the 03 one(flat with chamfer edge). Does anyone know what this upgrade was? Is it sufficient, or do I need to do the full upgrade to the 04 gear? Thanks. BTW, I took my first ride on this bike today and really liked it. The suspension needs some tuning, but the motor puled really strong. :banghead:

• bg10459

Posted January 17, 2010 - 09:53 PM

I believe the dealer "upgrade" was to loctite the flywheel to the shaft and use a higher torque. In reality, they didn't fix anything by doing this because that wasn't the problem. If you want peace of mind, the only fix is to upgrade to the 04 torque limiter.
Here's the how-to link ->http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BajaFool

Posted January 17, 2010 - 10:33 PM

bg10459 is correct. Go to the link that follows and you will learn all there is to know about the history of the woodruff key problem with the 03 WR's. In addition, read my instructions for a 10 minute replacement of the idler assy. Also, in my parts list, I did forget to include the Idler Cover Gasket. You will need one if you ruin your old one taking it off. http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=303319

• SoCA_DRZ

Posted January 18, 2010 - 07:54 AM

Thanks guys, I did search and find the links above, but just wanted to see what the dealer fix was before I ordered up the parts. Seems like a simple and somewhat inexpensive fix for the piece of mind. Ordering up the parts right now.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.