SHIFT PROBLEMS

1 reply to this topic
  • Guest__*

Posted October 26, 2000 - 09:58 PM

AFTER TEARING IT UP AT A SAND TRACK RECENTLY, MY BIKE WOULD NOT SHIFT INTO SECOND GEAR. AFTER TALKING WITH CO-RIDERS, THEY SAID IT WAS PROBABLY THE SHIFTING MECHANISM. WELL I TOOK BIKE TO LOCAL SHOP AND THEY LO0KED AT SHIFTING MECHANISM AND MY FRIENDS WERE CORRECT, BUT THE PROBLEM IS THE SHOP TOLD ME THERE IS A PIN(SCREW) THAT HOLDS THE MECHANISM TOGETHER AND IT IS MISSING. NOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT CRACKING THE ENTIRE ENGINE. ANYBODY ENCOUNTER THIS OR HAVE ANY INPUT? THANKS!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted October 26, 2000 - 11:45 AM

This is a problem with the ’00 models, you’re not the first to post about it here. Apparently for ’01 this pin is more permanently affixed.

I could be mistaken, but unless something else is wrong they shouldn’t have to split the cases.

I’ve been wondering which magical little pin everyone is talking about and nobody here seems to know, but the only thing inside the cases is the shift drum and forks. See if your shop will replace the part with an ’01, if this is available, but they should be able to access whatever it is just by pulling the right cover, and they should have done this already to diagnose the problem.

I’m guessing it must be the pin that holds a roller that the shifter rides on to turn the drum. This mechanism is held on with a few bolts. It should be an easy job, if the mechanic insists on yanking the motor get your bike away from him.

While you are at it ask which part it is so I can replace mine (or at least weld the pin in) before this happens to me. Thanks!

The roller that rides on the pin that I am guessing is the missing one is reference # 10 in this picture.

[This message has been edited by Hick (edited 10-26-2000).]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.