throttle cable problem

5 replies to this topic
  • wr-400

Posted January 17, 2010 - 11:46 AM

hi all i made a post earlier about my throttle sticking a litttle
i have now traced the problem to the cable itself it has 2 parts accelerate and return, the return cable is not connected, it seems to small,

is it possible it has the wrong cable on i seem to think its a 98-99 cable

my bike is a 00 wr 400

im wondering is there difference in cables?

• YZEtc

Posted January 17, 2010 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, they're more than likely different cables.

The Yamaha part numbers are different.
Aftermarket Motion Pro part numbers are different.
The carburetors between the 1999 WR-400F and 2000 WR-400F are different.

Posted January 17, 2010 - 06:58 PM

If it helps here's a pic of my 99 WR

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaha8519B

Posted January 17, 2010 - 07:02 PM

It looks like the cable is broken from the pic especially if you are talking about the bottom cable from the pic. Post a better picture from a different angle.

Posted January 17, 2010 - 07:39 PM

Not a great pic, true. Thats just grease on the assy making it look screwy. Not broken. For the OP-wr-400, here's a better pic of my old 99 cable ends to see if yours is wrong by comparison. Hope it helps

Posted Image

Posted Image:banghead:

• coreystone9

Posted January 17, 2010 - 09:36 PM

Dear Friend... I also have a 2000 wr 400 and i have replaced multiple cables through my years of rough riding... My return cable was always the one that snapped also... I think its a smaller cable... to solve it i left just a little slack in my return cable... and frequently lube my cables with lithium... it doesnt return as quickly but i think it took alot of stress of of the smaller cable

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.