2009 wr450f suspension questions - need help

48 replies to this topic
  • skindiver

Posted January 19, 2010 - 10:15 PM

My bike has the appropiate rear spring for my weight. @ 250. I left the front alone. The front feels very different at the same settings when the rear is correct. Im a weekend warrior, and an offroad noob but see little reason to change the front based on my kind of riding.
I tied a cable tie to the fork arm and went for a ride banging over rocks and logs, popping wheelies and trying to do stoppies, and the cable tie revealed that the forks never used up more than half the travel. I actually took out one compression and one rebound click from the stock settings in front to make it more plush.

A hard rider may find the suspensions weaknesses, but not me.

Skin.

• drick

Posted January 20, 2010 - 06:46 AM

My bike has the appropiate rear spring for my weight. @ 250. I left the front alone. The front feels very different at the same settings when the rear is correct. Im a weekend warrior, and an offroad noob but see little reason to change the front based on my kind of riding.
I tied a cable tie to the fork arm and went for a ride banging over rocks and logs, popping wheelies and trying to do stoppies, and the cable tie revealed that the forks never used up more than half the travel. I actually took out one compression and one rebound click from the stock settings in front to make it more plush.

A hard rider may find the suspensions weaknesses, but not me.

Skin.

skin, i'm absolutely amazed by that. in fact i'm incredulous (and that's a big word for 7AM PST) :banghead:

i cannot possible see how you would not be bottoming out unless you are not lifting up the front wheel at all, or are the smoothest n00b rider on the globe?

i had my buddy try it as well and he is closer to 200 pounds than either of us, and even he used up the travel with the old zip tie trick

very strange that our experiences are so different

• ASternad

Posted January 20, 2010 - 06:51 AM

I would be interested in knowing what year Skin's bike is and if he bought it used or new.

• drick

Posted January 21, 2010 - 05:11 PM

Sounds like you've made up your mind which is cool. I'm sure it'll work out for you.

Let us know.

John

AAARGGH, Dave got behind so now i won't get my junk back until Sat at the earliest. I was really hoping to get the bike back together on the off chance that we get 2 hours of sun this weekend.. :banghead:

The agony.... :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • skindiver

Posted January 21, 2010 - 10:49 PM

My bike is an 07 WR450.

The rear spring is .58. I'm 250 lbs and the rear bike sag and rider sag works out to 20mm and 95mm respectively in as much as i can remember. I do know that it was right in the ball park for acceptable sag figures anyhow. The front bike sag was 55mm. Of the remaining travel i could not use up more than half like I said and I did bang it around intentionally as hard as my limited ability would allow. After doing this test i felt comfortable enough in the remaining travel to take out one rebound and one compression as it was quite jarring over grass clumps.

The bloke i bought it from was a little lighter than me at 200 and he said that he left the front alone. By that I'm confident that he did not re- valve or spring the forks.
I'm told that a bit of oil will make the bike less likely to bottom out in front ? Perhaps he did that to it but did not say so.

Dont forget that i am a noob offroad rider and it will be a long while before i get to its limits.

One more thing. The manual shows quite a variance in the STOCK clicker settings between the American, Euro, Australian and South - African bikes. My bike is a South African bike. Perhaps they reccomend different stock clicker settings because they anticipate different general rider weights in different countries. ( South africans are generally bigger people for example) or the different countries bikes may actually have some differences in the suspensions.

Pro SA enduro riders turf the WR in favour of YZs with WR gearboxes mostly, as i understand it, because of a preference for the YZ forks. Apparently its cheaper to put a WR box in a YZ than to put YZ forks on a WR. This would support the trend of sentiment that the WR forks are not great.

regards
Skin.

• drick

Posted January 23, 2010 - 08:51 AM

AAARGGH, Dave got behind so now i won't get my junk back until Sat at the earliest. I was really hoping to get the bike back together on the off chance that we get 2 hours of sun this weekend.. :bonk:

The agony.... :ride:

Did i mention the sun is out and today is the best day of the weekend? he called me last night, and now it may not be ready until later today or tomorrow am...

every day i pull in my garage and look at the disassembled bike ...

sigh.. :banghead:

• drick

Posted March 10, 2010 - 02:21 PM

Did i mention the sun is out and today is the best day of the weekend? he called me last night, and now it may not be ready until later today or tomorrow am...

every day i pull in my garage and look at the disassembled bike ...

sigh.. :banana:

just realized that i never posted my results.

so the 1st iteration that i got was not real good. it bottomed out off every jump, and I'm not riding it hard enough yet to justify that.

i then talked to Dave who said that shouldn't be happening and had me return the forks for rework.

2nd time around with new/different springs and new re-valve was much better. no bottoming out even as i start to ride it harder, and i actually had to pull back 1 click to soften them up. coming down the waterbreaks at hollister was rattling my teeth.

net net, I'm VERY happy with the end result and now have more than enough suspension to grow up into. Dave knows his shit, and although he is not the fastest guy in the world, his work is good which more than makes up for it.

highly recommend SPI to any/all WR owners to get rid of the stock crap

Edited by drick, March 11, 2010 - 01:44 PM.

• MrTVDNR

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:40 PM

I had Factory Connection do mine after riding it new 3 times.
I hope to get out and ride by the end of the month to update on how it feels and works.

I'm 6'2" and 250+

Fork springs are .48
Rear spring is 6.7

• drick

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:45 PM

I had Factory Connection do mine after riding it new 3 times.
I hope to get out and ride by the end of the month to update on how it feels and works.

I'm 6'2" and 250+

Fork springs are .48
Rear spring is 6.7

you and i are in the same bracket, so i can relate to how bad it sucks stock.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.