How do i know if i need new piston and rings?

2 replies to this topic
  • Looks450

Posted January 16, 2010 - 10:19 PM

I have done three years racing on my bike, and now i have decided to keep it for another year. I was thinking that maybe i should be looking at freshening up the top end a bit.

The valves have only tightened up once on the exhaust valves, so the head is fine, but was just wondering what would be an indicator that the piston and rings could be worth changing.

I have heard of ring gap but i dont really know what it is measuring and what it should be any ways.

Cheers

Looks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted January 17, 2010 - 07:33 AM

After 3yrs of racing I would just plan on replacing piston, rings and cam chain.
Cheap insurance for the couple hundred in parts.
After 2yrs of racing my valves haven't moved yet but here was my rebuild this fall.

http://www.thumperta...rmance upgrades

• JDLowrance

Posted January 17, 2010 - 03:44 PM

I'm with tribal...replace that piston!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.