2010 yz450 gas in oil

42 replies to this topic
  • waukee

Posted January 16, 2010 - 02:44 PM

I have noticed when changing the oil it is very thin and smeels like gas. I rode the bike only twice and changed the oil both times and had the same problem. Anyone else have this issue, I heard the Hondas had this problem and it was a bad injector or something like that.

• krony506

Posted January 16, 2010 - 02:47 PM

Welcome to the screwed up world we Honda owners live in. I was told by an old engine builder that dirty gas will cause this. I don't know for sure but I have a hard time believing that all these new injectors are bad.

• ProMed

Posted January 16, 2010 - 03:00 PM

I have noticed when changing the oil it is very thin and smeels like gas. I rode the bike only twice and changed the oil both times and had the same problem. Anyone else have this issue, I heard the Hondas had this problem and it was a bad injector or something like that.

Someone else on here has had that same issue with their 2010. If I come across his thread I'll send you the link.

• Wes Woodin

Posted January 16, 2010 - 04:37 PM

I'm so glad I waited!

• smithjeb

Posted January 16, 2010 - 04:52 PM

I'm so glad I waited!

Waited for what ?

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 16, 2010 - 04:58 PM

Waited for what ?

He ment he was glad he didnt go and buy a 2010 model so quik.

• mxengineer4

Posted January 16, 2010 - 05:11 PM

Sno Pro has experienced a similar condition.....http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=865788

• Ga426owner

Posted January 16, 2010 - 06:16 PM

got to luv FI.......sorry I could not resist. :banghead:

• katoom08

Posted January 16, 2010 - 06:26 PM

Why gas in oil? I guess I need FI 4-Stroke 101.

Katoom

• matt116

Posted January 16, 2010 - 06:29 PM

I just did the 4th oil change on my bike this time I could smell gas and the oil was very thin. I never noticed it on the previous oil changes, the only difference I can think of is the bike sat all week with 3/4 tank of gas. I will now disconnect the fuel line after every ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt116

Posted January 16, 2010 - 06:31 PM

Why gas in oil? I guess I need FI 4-Stroke 101.

Katoom

Theres no fuel shut off, it just relies on the injector to hold the fuel back from gravity feeding into the cyclinder

• slow hand

Posted January 16, 2010 - 09:49 PM

I'm so glad I waited!

Waited for what ?

That made me laugh out loud.

• moto278

Posted January 16, 2010 - 09:54 PM

you can disconect the fuel line from the throttle body, such as from when your removing the fuel tank. why not disconect that, let it sit a a day or 2 and see if any fuel drips out before jumpin the gun. most bikes i have i can smell a hint of gas in the oil and i changed my oil every 3-4 hours. i dont know if i have this problem, as i only changed the oil twice now, both were with a light weight oil so it was thin to begin with. wasnt very dark tho. im no master mechanic by any means, but from my expierence most single cylinder bikes (ie dirt bikes in this case) theres a higher cp than cars and only one piston, and the extreme abuse we put these motors thru while riding that SOME gas does escape past the oil rings and into the lower end. my lower end on my 250f is in spec after 5 years of abuse. just my .02

• The Captain

Posted January 16, 2010 - 11:29 PM

Unless the volume of oil in the case is increasing you do not have a problem. The smell of gas in oil is not anything to be concerned about.

• freerider_australia

Posted January 17, 2010 - 02:59 AM

Unless the volume of oil in the case is increasing you do not have a problem. The smell of gas in oil is not anything to be concerned about.

i just change my oil and it seem normal no strong smell of gas just smells like used oil once it cooled down it dident seem to thin i changed after about 8 hrs the average temp around here is 25 degrees c and each time i check the coolant temp it normaly between 68 and 72 degrees c so the oil temp should be warm enough to evaraporate any gas
also as per quote

• waukee

Posted January 17, 2010 - 07:23 AM

this can't be normal, it sounds like what people are saying that the gas is being passed by the injector when the bike is off. My oil was very thin and and smelled of gas, this can not be good when Yamahas engine and tran share the same oil

• bill97gtp

Posted January 17, 2010 - 08:05 AM

I would think smell alone and the consistancy of the oil would be important,not the level as the gas in the oil would tend to evaporate as it runs of course breaking down the oil in the process.could it be rings not seated?probably injector issues as stated by others

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 17, 2010 - 10:12 AM

I agree!

• antmoore

Posted January 17, 2010 - 11:56 AM

hay there,

I have just stumbled across your thread and find it quite interesting, I have just done an oil change on my 05 rmz 450 and have found the same problem except my oil level has gone from 1500mls to 2000mls in 5 hrs riding.

What I have learnt so far is it is either the rings have gone or that if you whick the throttle before the engine is warm it lets fuel by the rings.

I realise we have completely different bikes and I don't have EFI but find it interesting that we have similar issues

• ProMed

Posted January 17, 2010 - 12:59 PM

My oil was very thin and and smelled of gas, this can not be good when Yamahas engine and tran share the same oil

I didn't even think about that. I guess the leaky injectors would be less of an "issue" on the Honda's with their split oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.