PMB Endo on my 09

36 replies to this topic
  • TRIPLE 5

Posted February 26, 2010 - 02:46 PM

What do you guys think about the '06 header w/customized 09 muffler?

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2010 - 03:12 PM

I think it would be too loud. Cute, but too loud.

• TRIPLE 5

Posted February 26, 2010 - 03:34 PM

Come on Gray, there has to be something we can do with this muffler besides throw it out.:thumbsup: I would think a man of you caliber would have some sort of mod for this:)

• SparksXR426

Posted February 26, 2010 - 06:08 PM

Come on Gray, there has to be something we can do with this muffler besides throw it out.:thumbsup: I would think a man of you caliber would have some sort of mod for this:)

Dont know about everyone else but mines probably going to end up on my lawnmower or something. Too bad, I liked the look of the shorty.

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2010 - 07:11 PM

I do have a little project in the works, but don't look for it very soon. Low priority.

• FinchFan194

Posted February 26, 2010 - 09:41 PM

What do you guys think about the '06 header w/customized 09 muffler?

Well I sold my 04 with a WB stainless header on it and kept the stocker and I bashed my header on my 08 sooo I put the stock 04 header on and it seemed to boost the bottom end. I was surprised it fit too.

When I bought my LeoVince slip-on it came with a smaller/thinner header gasket that fit perfectly with the 04 header. Where as the 08 header had no gasket so now I have less of a chance at a exhaust leak.

• TRIPLE 5

Posted February 27, 2010 - 03:08 AM

Dont know about everyone else but mines probably going to end up on my lawnmower or something. Too bad, I liked the look of the shorty.

I'll buy you a muffler for your mwer in exchange for your 08 muffler.:thumbsup:

I do have a little project in the works, but don't look for it very soon. Low priority.

I knew I could break you. Just call me the grayracer whisperer.:ride:
Keep us updated.

• Brawg

Posted March 01, 2010 - 09:38 PM

I have an 08 header and muffler. I'm thinking of doing this and i will take whatever praise/criticism comes with it. My header is somewhat dinged up and not pretty, however, i just got dont bead blasting the whole bit and inclined to do a header wrap for the look of it. I know that titanium has a tendency to crack in this scenario, but would like input/opinions on it. I am gonna run the stock can (at least for a minute) and see how this does. I want to buy a FMF 4.1 USFS can if the 08 can cannot be sufficiently modified with my

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AKHILF

Posted March 02, 2010 - 09:08 PM

I just got my endo in and installed it. Do you think its bad for the bike to not run the cone or sparky, just open?

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 03, 2010 - 02:48 AM

I have an 08 header and muffler. I'm thinking of doing this and i will take whatever praise/criticism comes with it. My header is somewhat dinged up and not pretty, however, i just got dont bead blasting the whole bit and inclined to do a header wrap for the look of it. I know that titanium has a tendency to crack in this scenario, but would like input/opinions on it. I am gonna run the stock can (at least for a minute) and see how this does. I want to buy a FMF 4.1 USFS can if the 08 can cannot be sufficiently modified with my

I was just about to wrap my header in the area of the shock reservoir. I'm trying to keep shock oil from getting hot or as hot. Is this a bad idea, to wrap titanium?

• dvn

Posted March 03, 2010 - 04:07 AM

I just got my endo in and installed it. Do you think its bad for the bike to not run the cone or sparky, just open?

I run mine open with no issues (other than a nice power boost :thumbsup:). My bike is re-jetted though.

• grayracer513

Posted March 03, 2010 - 08:18 AM

I was just about to wrap my header in the area of the shock reservoir. I'm trying to keep shock oil from getting hot or as hot. Is this a bad idea, to wrap titanium?

It's not a big deal, but it won't keep the shock any cooler. The shock oil gets hot because that's what shock oil does. The exhaust runs past the reservoir cap, which has no oil directly under it. Then, you're expecting heat to radiate across an air gap through which air is usually moving. If you aren't melting your air box or number plate, you aren't contributing anything significant to the shock oil heat.

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 04, 2010 - 03:27 PM

It's not a big deal, but it won't keep the shock any cooler. The shock oil gets hot because that's what shock oil does. The exhaust runs past the reservoir cap, which has no oil directly under it. Then, you're expecting heat to radiate across an air gap through which air is usually moving. If you aren't melting your air box or number plate, you aren't contributing anything significant to the shock oil heat.

I was thinking more about the heat from the pipe when lined up at the gate. I thought maybe it would help alittle bit or am I just getting alittle crazy?:ride:

Also, do you think the 06 header w/PMB Endcap would focus more towards increasing low end boost with some (small) increases at mid-high due to size and length of header? Or do I have to stop thinking?:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2010 - 04:33 PM

I was thinking more about the heat from the pipe when lined up at the gate. I thought maybe it would help alittle bit or am I just getting alittle crazy?:ride:

In the strictest sense, it will "help a little", but I don't think you fully understand how long it would take to raise the temperature of your shock oil 5 degrees by having a 500 degree pipe at that location. A little crazy, yes. Try to worry more about the next election.

Also, do you think the 06 header w/PMB Endcap would focus more towards increasing low end boost with some (small) increases at mid-high due to size and length of header? Or do I have to stop thinking?:thumbsup:

If you modify the shorty muffler to be more open, the diameter of the '08 header will be too large to be optimally effective, and the '06 would be an improvement.

Don't stop thinking, just don't stop thinking all the way through, either.

• TRIPLE 5

Posted March 04, 2010 - 04:53 PM

Hey Gray, you seem to be the yz guru so, maybe you can guide me in the right direction. I would like to know where I can find out the dimensions of stock headers that are compatiable with the 09? Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2010 - 08:58 PM

The resident wiz on that particular subject is KJ790. He's gone through this several times, but I never pay enough attention to remember it. Search for posts re: headers by him.

I think I remember that the '06 header is a direct fit, but don't quote me.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 04, 2010 - 09:57 PM

The header off my 04 bolted right up to my 08(same as 09) with just a thinner donut gasket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.