YZF450 2010 to responsive?

22 replies to this topic
  • glenrmz

Posted January 16, 2010 - 12:19 AM

I'm having a problem with throttle control on the new bike. There seems to be no roll on with the bike. The throttle is either on or off. In ruts it's coming on to quickly and popping the front up and coming into corners the back locks up too abruptly. I've checked the throttle tube and it looks like its pretty much like all the other 450's, if not a slight bit smaller in circumference.
Is there an easy way to get the bike to have more of a moderated acceleration. At the moment it feels like riding with a 1/4 throttle.
I was wondering if it was a problem (or trait) that could be sorted out with a diferent map?

• smithjeb

Posted January 16, 2010 - 06:48 AM

Map may help...also more seat time / practice. Last year they were bitchin' it was too corked up feeling and slow :banghead:

• Mike546

Posted January 16, 2010 - 08:10 AM

Try the slow map from MXA, it's a free fix (although I will sell it to you if you cant find it here)

Fuel Injection (FI)
-4 +4 -4
-4 +4 -4
-4 +4 -4
Ignition (IG)
+2 -5 +2
+2 -5 +2
+2 -5 +2

• glenrmz

Posted January 21, 2010 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Mike. I still need to get the tuner, but will definetly give it a go. Till then I just added some slack on the throttle. It at least gives my brain some warning before it hits.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted January 21, 2010 - 02:48 PM

I might not have to do the 1/4 throttle mod to this one

• Dr.Crankenstien

Posted January 21, 2010 - 05:52 PM

Injectioneering has been doing some work on the throttle body for the 2010 YZ450 with really good results, and one of the items that have been addressed is the quick response:thumbsup: (310)953-2915- Wade

• TokioMX

Posted January 21, 2010 - 06:39 PM

I have same problem when I pat around pits in lower gear. Throttle is either on or off, very jurkey and uncomfortable. I guess it's common on EFI? I did loosen the throttle cable and made it better but not to the level of carb bike. No problem when on track though.

I use #7 map from Dirtbike/MXA, but pretty mellow for a 450. can use little more power I guess, even coming off 250F to 450F. Used #9 map, what OTHG-Mike san posted, in mud but not enough in dry day.
DirtbikeMag Map Link

Manual said Power Tuner don't change any setting below 3000rpm. If you are riding in tight woods or something, changing map might not really help.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 07:12 PM

You said map #7, but I only see 4 you've listed. The first two were form Yamaha and the second two are the ones previously posted by MXA. Which ones did you use?

• ProMed

Posted January 21, 2010 - 07:15 PM

You said map #7, but I only see 4 you've listed. The first two were form Yamaha and the second two are the ones previously posted by MXA. Which ones did you use?

The maps are numbered in the center of each one on the dirtbike link. #7 is the 3rd one down.

• TokioMX

Posted January 21, 2010 - 07:19 PM

Sorry if it was confusing. 3rd map from the top. You can see hand written #s by DB guys in between the FL/IG map. also read their write up above maps too.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2010 - 07:30 PM

OK. Lost it in the handwritten notes. Wanted to make sure everyone knew which one he used, and that it was posted in the sticky, which they all 4 are already.

• Scrubba

Posted January 23, 2010 - 12:08 AM

I have same problem when I pat around pits in lower gear. Throttle is either on or off, very jurkey and uncomfortable. I guess it's common on EFI? I did loosen the throttle cable and made it better but not to the level of carb bike. No problem when on track though.

I use #7 map from Dirtbike/MXA, but pretty mellow for a 450. can use little more power I guess, even coming off 250F to 450F. Used #9 map, what OTHG-Mike san posted, in mud but not enough in dry day.
DirtbikeMag Map Link

Manual said Power Tuner don't change any setting below 3000rpm. If you are riding in tight woods or something, changing map might not really help.

True, but unless your a showboat pit cruiser, you shouldnt judge your bike how it handles in the pits.

Try riding more forward on the bike so it doesnt jerk you back. i love the stock powerband, but havent tried any others yet.

• 92db

Posted August 03, 2010 - 10:00 PM

Injectioneering cures the response problem by separating the throttle body from you bike for over three weeks and in some cases requires having to buy a second throttle body since you can't get yours back.

Here is a Yamaha owners experience:

http://www.thumperta...t=throttle body

Here is a Honda owners experience that should be in the post Hall of Fame:

http://www.vitalmx.c...art-Two,1018302

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 04, 2010 - 04:53 AM

I just started testing the yamaha it actually makes less torque down low than the 2010 honda the feeling is coming from i beleive a light crank shaft and to tight of gearing the easzy way to fix your problem may be just taking 2 teeth off the back sproket

• racerxx276

Posted August 04, 2010 - 05:06 AM

Alas, This is what happens when there are no 500cc bike around...No one knows what throttle control is...

Even the magazine's think if you can't pin it, there is too much power...

I love my 10 low end power... then again I loved my 85 CR500 too...

• grayracer513

Posted August 04, 2010 - 07:13 AM

Alas, This is what happens when there are no 500cc bike around...No one knows what throttle control is... I loved my 85 CR500 ...

I had a '94. Everyone should own one once. :banana:

• 450motard

Posted August 06, 2010 - 09:05 AM

I had a '94. Everyone should own one once. :banana:

I had two '87s and a '93 - I loved those bikes! I almost bought a pristine '93 a few months ago, but the guy was asking too much for me to justify it...

And I've yet to say my 450 has too much power. Jerky throttle, definitely, too much power, not even close.

• NE14MX

Posted August 09, 2010 - 04:28 AM

I have found that using the smaller insert in my FMF 4.1 exhaust (the 94db one) really mellows the snappy low end throttle response. So much so, that I went from the less hit map back to the stock map and then went to the GYTR exhaust map. Happy now. I'm not saying you have to by the FMF 4.1 but maybe the Q slip on would suffice. I don't know why the stock exhaust, which quickley narrows down at the end tip doesn't have this effect. The 4.1 small insert has a tube for about 4 inches before the end tip, maybe that's why it effects the power this way.

• mx369

Posted August 09, 2010 - 06:11 AM

Injectioneering has been doing some work on the throttle body for the 2010 YZ450 with really good results, and one of the items that have been addressed is the quick response:thumbsup: (310)953-2915- Wade

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read article on this guy on Vital Forums in race tech area!! NOT GOOD!!!

• grayracer513

Posted August 09, 2010 - 06:22 AM

ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read article on this guy on Vital Forums in race tech area!! NOT GOOD!!!

Bear in mind, you're getting one side of it from .... someone.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.