07-09 WR450R Vs KTM off-road

22 replies to this topic
  • Rainman123

Posted January 15, 2010 - 05:04 PM

What's the better (used) trailbike for the money (<$3500) an 07-09 WR 450 or one of the KTMs?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted January 15, 2010 - 05:31 PM

That's a loaded question. Personally, I'd take a used WR (same year, condition, etc) over any other 450 out there. This is just based on the fact that I believe all the 450's are pretty comparable now days, but from a durability/reliability standpoint I feel like the WR is the new XR.

This opinion is just that an opinion and it's absolutely 100% biased, but then you knew that's what you would get posting that in the WR forum.

• rkwfxd1

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:24 PM

Good luck finding either for <$3500 at least in so cal. I like KTMs a lot but as posted above the WRs seem to be the new XR - bullet proof. Additionally, the Yamaha dealer is five minutes from my house the KTM dealer is 45 minutes on the freeway. Finally, depending on the year of the KTM they are not much easier to work on than the WRs.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 16, 2010 - 12:55 PM

After reading the reports I concluded that one was as good as the other.
The prices aren't much different either.

When I purchased it came down to the fact that I reckon the KTM looks ugly so I bought the Yamaha!

Greg

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 16, 2010 - 04:50 PM

I consider KTM owners to be fart sniffing, elitist lemmings that need to have the same shit as the guy next door...:banghead:

I did not want to be one of those guys, that and I am on my 5th WR and like others have said - "Bullet Proof"

• panaman

Posted January 16, 2010 - 08:36 PM

if you like to ride a motorcycle that comes from the same place as Adolph Hitler then the KTM is a good choice.
heheehe.....
Actually I am sure the Nazi bikes are just fine.. just like most modern 450 trail bikes, I have heard bad things about Honda valves but I don't own one and haven't actually seen one melt down.......

I suppose it really boils down to how much you can get the bike for.

• diegox450

Posted January 16, 2010 - 08:42 PM

10.000 kms on my WR without opening the engine (only timing chains and normal maintenance) .... All KTM's that I've seen here (520, 525, 530, 450, 300, ranging 2001 to 2009 models) had serious problems like failing starters, cam bearings destroyed, wheel bearings, dead batteries and going.... My WR just keep going and going and never left me in the trail!!
I love KTM's lower weight and better handling, but reliability is a must here where you have 200 miles minimum between populated areas, and places where is nearly impossible to recover a broken bike.

• ASternad

Posted January 16, 2010 - 09:05 PM

I Own one of each currently.
I wouldn't be interested in a 08-09 KTM, due to weird reports about oil seals/trans issues. 07 KTM's may have softer valves. 07-09 WR's are great bikes. I would take a 06 KTM over a 06 WR, but not the newer. 2010's may be the hot ticket for KTM, time will tell, for now I'm very happy with my WR.

• foxomatica

Posted January 16, 2010 - 11:46 PM

if you like to ride a motorcycle that comes from the same place as Adolph Hitler then the KTM is a good choice.
heheehe.....
Actually I am sure the Nazi bikes are just fine..

Ignorant!

• projected

Posted January 17, 2010 - 06:56 AM

I too have read to many reports online as well a couple from friends who race that the 08+ KTM's have some real issues. Enough issues that I bought and 07 EXC with the RFS engine, which is super reliable and very long lasting. BUT in order to have the RFS motor you have to take what is IMO an inferior chassis (not because it's steel, because of geometry). I could not come to terms with the steering or the suspension. Yes I could have revalved the suspension for $750-900 (2-3 times cost of revalving my Yamahas) and I could have messed around with different offset triple clamps or the Rekluse axle, but I don't have the money to experiment with $400 triple clamps or $200 axles. My fear was I would spend all the money and still not be satisfied with the handling so I sold the KTM. There were other reasons for the sale as well, but if I loved the bike I would still have it.

People like to point out how light KTM's are too. KTM only publishes dry weights where the Japanese OEMs have been publishing wet weights (ready to ride full tank of gas)since 2009. This causes confusion because people aren't comparing apples to apples. If you check a magazine test from Dirt Rider where they actually weigh the bikes ready to ride the KTM's with lights is at the most 5-6 lbs lighter. 5-6 lbs does not make one bike a "pig" and another light weight.

With the 07 and prior KTM's I have to say Keep The Motor (at least for me personally).

Edited by projected, January 20, 2010 - 07:53 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ASternad

Posted January 17, 2010 - 09:40 AM

See Next post.

• ASternad

Posted January 17, 2010 - 09:45 AM

[quote name=']BUT in order to have the RFS motor you have to take what is IMO an inferior chassis (not because it's steer' date=' because of geometry).[/QUOTE']

Don't mean to hi jack the thread but, it's note worthy that a Beta 450/525 RR/RS is a link suppension bike with a 07 KTM RFS. Just Saying such a bike does exist.

• WR450FGreg

Posted January 17, 2010 - 07:39 PM

I never know what to believe when it comes to reliability arguments. I hear arguments both ways.

So many here consider their Yams to be bullet-proof, me included.

Yet, for example a mechanic mate of mine will only buy KTMs because he hears stories of 20,000km from KTM cranks before a rebuild and quote: "Yamahas never last that long". (His words NOT mine!)

Just go with what you like the look of in my opinion. All the bikes are so close performance-wise these days that it very hard to split them in this regard.

Greg

• Summit

Posted January 18, 2010 - 07:05 AM

Can't speak for KTM but I'll give another vote for the reliability of the WR, mine's been totally bulletproof. With that said, I love the specs on the 2010 KTM 6 days 450.

• projected

Posted January 18, 2010 - 08:51 AM

I never know what to believe when it comes to reliability arguments. I hear arguments both ways.

So many here consider their Yams to be bullet-proof, me included.

Yet, for example a mechanic mate of mine will only buy KTMs because he hears stories of 20,000km from KTM cranks before a rebuild and quote: "Yamahas never last that long". (His words NOT mine!)

Just go with what you like the look of in my opinion. All the bikes are so close performance-wise these days that it very hard to split them in this regard.

Greg

I constantly hear of WR and KTM RFS (07 and prior) as bulletproof. I've got a couple friends who don't do very good maintenance IMO and their RFS bikes are still running strong. One is an '02 520 that has been ridden hard/barely maintained for 7 years and the other is an '05 525 ridden normal/barely maintained, they are original owners on each. I've had great luck with 1 WR 250 and 1 YZ450 and I have a couple other friends with similar luck.

Now CRF valves and 08+ KTM engines I would personally stay away from. Although I have a friend with tons of hours on his 05 CRF450X and no problems ever BUT he never revs the bike as he is always low to mid on rpm. If you read the CRF forums the bikes are supposedly bulletproof once you switch the valves to stainless. I would rather just buy a Yamaha and not worry :banghead:

I'm really not a brand loyal person (I like to buy the best product for me regardless of brand) but Yamaha has got me headed that way due to the great performance & reliability that myself, friends, and internet people tend to have.

• ASternad

Posted January 18, 2010 - 10:44 AM

If you search the WR big bore (400,426,450) forum for other maker comparisons.
Here's the # of threads started:

KTM = 93
DRZ = 30
CRF = 26
KLX = 9
CRFx = 3

• skisnh

Posted January 18, 2010 - 10:56 AM

What's the better (used) trailbike for the money (<$3500) an 07-09 WR 450 or one of the KTMs?

Rainman...I had a 04 wr450 nice bike. However, since we are in the Live Free or Die state...we can plate 2 strokes!!!! KTM 2 stroke rules the New England woods.

PM me if you have GPS tracks to exchange

• modroo

Posted January 18, 2010 - 02:02 PM

i like your SUV picture, um k

• Strattos

Posted January 18, 2010 - 02:02 PM

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, generally it comes down to colour/brand/personal preference in my opinion. They're all pretty close, just depends on what appeals to you. However, the common negative comments/stories I hear regarding KTMs is in relation to the '08 450 and 530, at least here in Australia. Commonly hear about the seal between gearbox and engine oil leaking or failing and the oil going from one compartment to another, causing problems. First local enduro in my city that year had six of that model KTM back the pits after experiencing the above problem out on the track. Most had buggerall ks on them. Haven't heard anything bad about the '09 onwards. RFS are supposed to be bulletproof though, the later ones.

Personally, I'm a massive WR fan. Only had two, but they've been awesome. Well over 10,000 trouble-fee ks from my 426 and have got 8000ks on my '08.

• YamaLink

Posted January 19, 2010 - 08:00 AM

As others have stated, it can be a toss-up based on dealer availability. I do like the KTM as of late for a race bike, and many of my friends ride the snot out of theirs with minimal problems.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.