More Piston talk

4 replies to this topic
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted January 15, 2010 - 02:50 PM

OK i have really been throwing around this idea to go with a high compression piston in my 03 yz450. Than i think back to well i dont race i only ride the woods, and than i cant decide what to do. I like power but i dont need insane power, but i do at the same time. Just really wondering if it is truly worth it for someone who doesnt race and really how are the power gains?

• mx369

Posted January 15, 2010 - 03:58 PM

The 03 is the hardest hitting yz 450 ever! Wish I still had mine. I dont think you need to do it. Just put on a tooth or two on rear sprocket for the woods. Lots cheaper

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NJDirtdog1

Posted January 15, 2010 - 07:01 PM

Yes so i have heard from many. Well thanks maybe i will stick with stock.

• KJ790

Posted January 15, 2010 - 09:22 PM

If you are expecting big power gains from a high compression piston, don't waste the money.

• 642MX

Posted January 16, 2010 - 10:12 AM

High compression pistons work well for the woods. They increase the bottom end punch, but don't do much in the high rpms. The increased bottom end is nice for hills.... they also will loft the front end a little easier when the rpms are low and you crack the throttle for obstacles like downed trees and small ditches. I'd go for it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.