Considering an 06 Yz450F

8 replies to this topic
  • Vengure

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Hey guys I've been away from the atv world for prolly the last 8 years and now I'm wanting to get back in. I've ridden two strokes as my choice for years but now im considering this bike here. Let me tell you a little about the bike.

It's currently owned by a 48 yr old 230lb weekend racer who runs it once or twice a weekend for the past few years obviously I doubt hes in a high class. It currently has a gold chain forgot mfg , fmf bomb full system and jetted carb to match up. Owner will also give me the stock exhaust and a Dr D system aswell with the bike. owner just dropped new tires on it along with new rotors and sprockets. He seems like he takes great care in his bikes. His asking price is 2200 I can prolly get this deal for 2k I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. He's only selling it to grab a new left over 09 before they go fuel injected.

Thanks, Josh

Edited by Vengure, January 14, 2010 - 10:12 PM.

• 426 NOOB

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:18 PM

Hey guys I've been away from the atv world for prolly the last 8 years and now I'm wanting to get back in. I've ridden two strokes as my choice for years but now im considering this bike here. Let me tell you a little about the bike.

It's currently owned by a 48 yr old 230lb weekend racer who runs it once or twice a weekend for the past few years obviously I doubt hes in a high class. It currently has a gold chain forgot mfg , fmf bomb full system and jetted carb to match up. Owner will also give me the stock exhaust and a Dr D system aswell with the bike. owner just dropped new tires on it along with new rotors and sprockets. He seems like he takes great care in his bikes. His asking price is 2200 I can prolly get this deal for 2k I wanted to get some opinions from you guys. He's only selling it to grab a new left over 09 before they go fuel injected.

Thanks, Josh

if it has had regular oil changes and maintenance performed, i would definitely go for it. That sounds like a steal. When you ride it make sure it shifts smoothly and there are no abnormal noises, such as a knock.

• Vengure

Posted January 14, 2010 - 10:42 PM

The original owner said he changes his oil after every two race days and replaces the filter aswell. Im going take a close look at the bike tomorrow just needed a few ideas what to consider. I plan on asking about any valve checks and adjustments if needed.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 15, 2010 - 07:01 AM

How many hrs are on it? Does he have a Hr meter on it? Most important to know this for camchain and the adjuster as well as every part that will need to be maintained and /or replaced. When were the valves checked last?

Did he re -spring and revalve it for a 230lb rider?
if he did and you are a lot less than 200lbs..it will be stiff...very stiff..ask for stock springs if this is the case

check for excessive play in the shock bearings...that weight does take a toll on these and linkage bearings also move the handlebars back and forth fast then very slow - see if you feel any notching or slight binding...means the steering bearings & races need replacement

also notice how easy or hard the clutch pull is and whether there is any engine drag when letting out the clutch - it should be easy pull and smooth transmission engagement while letting the clutch out and definitely ride the bike before buying as well as see how easy or hard is is to start....shift into every gear if possible

another hint...you can usually tell the condition of a bike by the way someone takes care of all of their tools and motorized stuff...
Take this for what it is worth....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WB450

Posted January 15, 2010 - 08:50 AM

[quote name='Ga426owner']How many hrs are on it? Does he have a Hr meter on it? Most important to know this for camchain and the adjuster as well as every part that will need to be maintained and /or replaced. When were the valves checked last?

Did he re -spring and revalve it for a 230lb rider?
if he did and you are a lot less than 200lbs..it will be stiff...very stiff..ask for stock springs if this is the case

check for excessive play in the shock bearings...that weight does take a toll on these and linkage bearings also move the handlebars back and forth fast then very slow - see if you feel any notching or slight binding...means the steering bearings & races need replacement

also notice how easy or hard the clutch pull is and whether there is any engine drag when letting out the clutch - it should be easy pull and smooth transmission engagement while letting the clutch out and definitely ride the bike before buying as well as see how easy or hard is is to start....shift into every gear if possible

another hint...you can usually tell the condition of a bike by the way someone takes care of all of their tools and motorized stuff...
Take this for what it is worth....[/
QUOTE]

:banghead:

• Vengure

Posted January 15, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Well just got off the phone with the seller and asked a few more questions regarding the bike. I had to delay looking at the bike till saturday. The stock springs are still present he did cahnge the seals and replaced the oil. The bike has been ran mostly on the weekends since it was purchased in feb 07 no hour meter present. Also the steering bearings were changed at the same time. My only concern is the engine he never replaced the cam chain or had the valves checked but claims the bike still runs strong and no knock. I'll let my buddy do a check and adjust if necessary which is around 70$ he told me.

So tomorrow I'll do a close inspection and see whats what.

• cmcdaniel

Posted January 15, 2010 - 11:17 AM

The only thing wrong with this year of YZF is that they don't turn very well. From what I have heard, there is no real cure for the issue either. Some say 22mm clamps help and some say just make sure you use the best front tire and make sure the sag is set perfectly. I rode mine for 4 years and I loved it. Super reliable bike, just change the timing chain before it jumps a tooth. I think 2k is a hell of a deal. Also, check the frame at the gooseneck for cracks, there were some reported cold welds at Yamaha that caused the frames to crack.

• Vengure

Posted January 15, 2010 - 10:33 PM

Everyone talks about it doesnt handle that well but I wager to say it handles alot better then the 1980's era bikes and majority of the 90's too. I'll check for the cracks when I get a good close up of it .

• FinchFan194

Posted January 15, 2010 - 10:44 PM

You can make any bike turn well with proper suspension set-up and riding technique. Everyone talks about how Honda's turn so well but I can't ride them well for the life of me. Feels like the front end is always going to wash out on me and it doesn't inspire confidence. Good luck tomorrow!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.